My "future" Guitar Build

juze

• 1 month later...

Aaah! Tomorrow I can continue my build. But I have 1 question. I have already sawed outlines to the neckblank and headstock but I didn't saw the headstock angle. How would you recommend to do that? Make a jig for desired angle and draw lines using that and then bandsaw?

-Juze aka Ghroath

This had better be some ugly walnut. Hardware looks good, I hope those tuners will fit the 7th string. Now you just need to start building it =P

Reply to and old post... I tested today the holes of those tuners. And .085 string fitted through it so there will be no problem about 7th string. : )

-Juze aka Ghroath

• 4 weeks later...

Actually I've gotten some progress on this guitar. BUT since I don't have pictures I've not posted anything. But wings have been cut to shape and next thing I should do is make some jig to make angle to peghead/headstock. But it has already been cut to shape so would you recommend to make a desired headstock angle jig for the router? I think I'm making ctrl cavity and pickup templates here at home with crappy jig-saw and dremel. Maybe I'll try to get pictures sometime. :D

-Juze aka Ghroath

Edited by juze

Yea, I know now that the angle is cut before the shape. But I can't do anything to it. (Of course thing below can be done:P) They say that you learn from your own mistakes. I made few calculations and now I'm that the neck blank isn't thick enough. I made a decision. I know it doesn't sound nice but I thought it's the best option for me. So I'm planning to cut the headstock off and make a scar-joint headstock. What do you think? Am I crazy? Maybe I am...

-Juze aka Ghroath

Juze, we need some more information buddy. We have no idea how thick your neck blank is, what degree angle you want, which scarf way you want to use as there are two ways really or at least two orientations. We either need some very concrete details or pictures with some details, there is just no way to help without some specifics. Doing a few searches will bring up several great threads on scarf-joints, I remember a few from a while back, like a year or two and they were very detailed and helpful, but as I said we can help better with pictures and details, otherwise there is no way to know exactly what everything looks like and what the next step is. Best of luck and let us know and maybe we can help out and check out the search on this forum, you can learn a lot reading through the old threads. Jason

Juze, we need some more information buddy. We have no idea how thick your neck blank is, what degree angle you want, which scarf way you want to use as there are two ways really or at least two orientations.

Ok, sorry. I thought I was clear enough. But I just read my posts and understood that I nearly gave any info. Later I'll upload some cad pics what my neck blank looks like atm. So... My neck blank is about 4 cm (It will be thinner.) I want 15 degree angle. I'll use http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/img/anck3.jpg scarf way. Or would you recommend the other way. That seems easier to me.

Do you mean you want to make a headstock out of an entirely different piece of wood? I don't understand. I'm assuming you haven't added the truss rod and fretboard to your neck yet, right?

Yeah. I want to make headstock from a different piece of wood. I have NOT added the truss rod neither the fretboard.

As said earlier. I'll make some CAD drawings to help you understand. : )

PS. Do you guys think that 20 mm thick headstock is too thick?

-Juze aka Ghroath

Edited by juze

As for your thickness question, as long as it's thin enough to accommodate your tuners, you're fine. You want to check that though.

I want it to be thick because the minimum of my tuners is something like 17 mm.

BUT, Here are the drawings. Hope you understand what I mean.

Neck blank at the moment.

neck-blank-1.jpg

Cut.

Illustration-picture.jpg

Red line is the outline of the blank. Black is the cut line and the torquise line is the piece that will be attached to the blank.

-Juze aka Ghroath

Yesterday I actually got nothing done on this. :D

I have some maple in my warm storage so I think I'm going to make a new neck blank from it, would be much better than that sh***y walnut as a neck. What do you guys think? :D

-Juze aka Ghroath

What´s wrong with that walnut ? Are you going to abandon it just because you did things in wrong order and don´t know what to do next ?

What´s wrong with that walnut ? Are you going to abandon it just because you did things in wrong order and don´t know what to do next ?

Yea, kinda just that. And the headstock's design is not allright, the tuners won't fit in it. Also I would like so much to make a walnut stripe in the neck (about 1 cm) if I have time to do it...

Um...I think Walnut is an awesome neck wood. But if you have a crappy piece, you should abandon it before it brings you real trouble.

I haven't actually played any walnut necks before, but now when I've seen that all wood is walnut it looks kinda simple. And I do like maple neck and walnut stripe in it. Very sexy :D

-Juze aka Ghroath

• 1 month later...

Ok. Got some work done on friday and took the neck blank and treble-side wing to home from school. I routed the trussrod slot but I didn't route it all the way to the end (nut end). Made the control cavity. It looks horrible, but that's why I've cover for it. The recess for the cover has not been done yet and the cover is not fully ready, just some raw outlines.

SO, pics! (Some pics are blurry and s**t) I'm almost ashamed to show pics if compared to most builds here.

Frontal pic

The line between the laminates. (Looks almost like a pencil line)

Cavity without cover.

Cavity with cover.

I can't see that chalk mess with eye, but damn it pops in those pictures. : (

-Juze aka Ghroath

Ok. Got some work done on friday and took the neck blank and treble-side wing to home from school. I routed the trussrod slot but I didn't route it all the way to the end (nut end). Made the control cavity. It looks horrible, but that's why I've cover for it. The recess for the cover has not been done yet and the cover is not fully ready, just some raw outlines.

SO, pics! (Some pics are blurry and s**t) I'm almost ashamed to show pics if compared to most builds here.

Does that mean you´re gonna leave the control cavity as it is ? I hope not.

When I was making cavities for my LP, I was thinking what grit sandpaper I should use. So the job doesn´t look like I was trying to pee while running.

Edited by VesQ

Well, as far as the control cavity goes, I meant it looks better than anything i've done "shapewise."

The bottom of it looks like it needs to be smoothed out. Did you do it with a drill press or a router?

Yea the bottom needs to be smoothed. I did it with a drill press with a forstner bit

-Juze aka Ghroath

• 1 month later...

Actually I've done "much" progress on this, but I'm kinda slacker type of person, so haven't updated this... :D Today I used spokeshave first time in my life. And I love it. I made tummy carve (Deep like in strato) and I think it came out nice. I have fretboard blank "raw-tapered" and slotted. I', not sure when I'm going to glue it in. I mean if I should carve the neck before or after gluing the FB on... I got 4 (8mmx80mmx550mm) fretboard blanks for free from my dad :D Actually I already did one fretboard and inlaid it, but somehow mistakely it was too narrow, so I just got pissed off and I snapped in half and "saved" the MOP dots. They're just so thin so I don't know what to do with them...

-Juze aka Ghroath

Edited by juze