How Do I Do This? What What Dye Do I Use?

Pestvic

Hey everyone! i read through this forum from about 5-6pm yesterday to about now, with no sleep!! haha and im still dying to know (cause i havent found it) how the HECK do you dye this good!?!?!!? and what do you use? i know you guys are extremely knowledgeable and ive searched a whole bunch to no avail. Here is the ONE allowed pic :-) (i read some rules)

Variax-PRS2-70.jpg

its from this site here.

http://www.guitaristjeffmiller.com/guitars10.htm

and i really hope you dont mind i put this second picture cause its part of my next question. ive read that there are ways to dye dark then sand then dye light to pop the wood but in this picture he doesnt do that??

Variax-PRS2-69.jpg

in this picture its just a two coat dye job it looks like?

also in this guitar build jeff dyes it blue and its amazing. im pretty sure he used the same method?

http://www.guitaristjeffmiller.com/guitars7.htm

anyway if you guys can provide some help on how to dye with THIS method that would be greatly apprieciated.

im trying to go with this look here. (here are some)

http://www.bazaarofchina.com/images/prs_cu24gb.jpg

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics.../9/1/374891.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/jems...ure004small.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_OS2EpeZjrkw/RrVJ4YMP...prs-cu24-gb.jpg

But mainly something like this.

http://www.overdriven.com/PRS/index_files/image004.jpg

but im going to do the red and blue first. (yes im going to make these three prs body shapes, soon i hope)

so i mean this is the only thing holding me back... if you guys can provide me with information i can start this build soon! all my extra cash im saving up for these builds.

also for christmas im just going to ask for guitar material like wood or parts.

i wont let you guys down when i get this build started.

Basically i just want to know what dye he used. and how can i get a hold of it?

Thanks again guys!

P.S. Im glad i can join this forum!! ive gotten into a lot of things and the only thing that really gets me excited and passionate about doing something is the thought and act of building my own guitars :D. so i know this is for me. cause i took woods for my highschool years and i went into handy man jobs afterwards so i LOVE building :D and i know i have the experience and knowledge to make it come out pretty decent! B)

There is no secret there...he just has really great wood...notice the heavy quilt which is insanely even all the way across the top?That is "5A"( :D ) wood...which just means it is the best figure available.

Notice he also brushes it on with a rag which is very dry...you have to keep the dye even across the top so that it is not darker on some parts than others...

With wood like that,you don't need to do anything special except make it the color you want and clearcoat it.

That wood top probably cost him in the hundreds of dollar range.

But I have never done a top that well....I usually stick to tinted clearcoats.

and i know i have the experience and knowledge to make it come out pretty decent!

Slow down,Rocket....you sound like you are running for office. :D

There is no secret there...he just has really great wood...notice the heavy quilt which is insanely even all the way across the top?That is "5A"( :D ) wood...which just means it is the best figure available.

Notice he also brushes it on with a rag which is very dry...you have to keep the dye even across the top so that it is not darker on some parts than others...

With wood like that,you don't need to do anything special except make it the color you want and clearcoat it.

That wood top probably cost him in the hundreds of dollar range.

But I have never done a top that well....I usually stick to tinted clearcoats.

and i know i have the experience and knowledge to make it come out pretty decent!

Slow down,Rocket....you sound like you are running for office. :D

oh ok thanks but im still wondering what dye he used?

oh ok thanks but im still wondering what dye he used?

From the second picture posted I think he's using these dyes.

These are the dyes I'm using, anyway. This is a two-pass cherry with clear top coating:

DSC01429-1.jpg

You can see the process I used in the build thread (link in my signature).

WOW that looks freaking amazing!! Thank you SO much ive been looking for dyes like this for sooo long. is there any local stores that would have them? like... lowes, home depot?

also you wouldnt happen to know how to do the grey black would you? That would be so awesome and appreciated if you can give me tips or 'know how'

Thanks again i really appreciate this :D

Edited by Pestvic

WOW that looks freaking amazing!! Thank you SO much ive been looking for dyes like this for sooo long. is there any local stores that would have them? like... lowes, home depot?

also you wouldnt happen to know how to do the grey black would you? That would be so awesome and appreciated if you can give me tips or 'know how'

I bought the dyes directly from StewMac, they are very good and deliver fast.

The finish you want doesn't look too difficult. Mind you I have never done it, but I would stain black, sand off and stain medium grey. Then clear coat.

You have to test on scrap pieces until you achieve what you're looking for. Grey is somewhat easier, because you only need to deal with black dye and different concentrations in water.

It's not unlike the guitar in my previous post, that's a double stain in cherry red, with a second stain really saturated. With black I would go with a lighter second stain, but again you need to test on scrap pieces.

A few drops of the concentrated stain in 10cc of water is usually enough for a guitar top.

I bought the dyes directly from StewMac, they are very good and deliver fast.

The finish you want doesn't look too difficult. Mind you I have never done it, but I would stain black, sand off and stain medium grey. Then clear coat.

You have to test on scrap pieces until you achieve what you're looking for. Grey is somewhat easier, because you only need to deal with black dye and different concentrations in water.

It's not unlike the guitar in my previous post, that's a double stain in cherry red, with a second stain really saturated. With black I would go with a lighter second stain, but again you need to test on scrap pieces.

A few drops of the concentrated stain in 10cc of water is usually enough for a guitar top.

Awesome thanks man thats something i would of searched for (the ratio mix for dye and water) so thanks for that also. so now i just have to get supplies (wood mainly) Any tips on where to buy figured wood?

then i can start my build :D

Thanks blackdog you've been such a great help and an amazing luthier! i cant wait for your gold les paul style body to be finished B)

Awesome thanks man thats something i would of searched for (the ratio mix for dye and water) so thanks for that also. so now i just have to get supplies (wood mainly) Any tips on where to buy figured wood?

Thanks blackdog you've been such a great help and an amazing luthier! i cant wait for your gold les paul style body to be finished :D

Your welcome. "Luthier" is probably too big a word to define me, but I appreciate the compliment.

I can't help with the wood, I buy the figured tops from Germany.

When I buy from StewMac I usually receive the goods in 48 Hs., and I'm in The Netherlands !!

As for the dilution ratio of the stains I don't know if I emphasized this enough: TRY on scrap wood. Go slow and add drops until you get the color density you're after.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your build here.

Thanks blackdog you've been such a great help and an amazing luthier! i cant wait for your gold les paul style body to be finished :D

Your welcome. "Luthier" is probably too big a word to define me, but I appreciate the compliment.

I can't help with the wood, I buy the figured tops from Germany.

When I buy from StewMac I usually receive the goods in 48 Hs., and I'm in The Netherlands !!

As for the dilution ratio of the stains I don't know if I emphasized this enough: TRY on scrap wood. Go slow and add drops until you get the color density you're after.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your build here.

thanks a lot B) i sent you a message about some guitar body stuff too. i know i cant wait to get it started either B)

Any tips on where to buy figured wood?

If you want a top like that one you posted?..

http://www.gilmerwood.com/instrument_wood-maples.htm

You have to keep an eye out though...it comes in and sells fast on the maple..

also some have good luck with ebay

http://stores.ebay.com/My-Unique-woods_Cur...4QQftidZ2QQtZkm

this guy seems to have some great stuff,but you would need to resaw and plane and all that..

Some of the members here sell wood..check the classifieds

Any tips on where to buy figured wood?

If you want a top like that one you posted?..

http://www.gilmerwood.com/instrument_wood-maples.htm

You have to keep an eye out though...it comes in and sells fast on the maple..

also some have good luck with ebay

http://stores.ebay.com/My-Unique-woods_Cur...4QQftidZ2QQtZkm

this guy seems to have some great stuff,but you would need to resaw and plane and all that..

Some of the members here sell wood..check the classifieds

cool man thanks a lot! that guy on ebay is that thick enough wood for a top? like this one [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/5-4-Super-Curly-Quilted-Tiger-Maple-Lumber-Wood-S898_W0QQitemZ110301157908QQihZ001QQcategoryZ3128QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trks

idZp1742.m153.l1262

i cant wait to start this build. ill post a link in here im going to start my thread off by showing the templates and designs im doing so far :D

5/4 means 1 1/4" thick(it is a fraction...each "4" is a quarter inch...1/4",2/4",5/4"...get it?)...but most of that stuff is not wide enough,which means you have to bookmatch and plane it...

I would go with 6/4...after bookmatching and planing that would make about a 5/8" to 1/2" top...

5/4 means 1 1/4" thick(it is a fraction...each "4" is a quarter inch...1/4",2/4",5/4"...get it?)...but most of that stuff is not wide enough,which means you have to bookmatch and plane it...

I would go with 6/4...after bookmatching and planing that would make about a 5/8" to 1/2" top...

cool man thanks a lot for the info, yeah i get the whole 5/4ths thing now i just realized it.. dont know why i didnt get it before haha. hmmm 5/8 of a top isnt to much. cause id still like to do a carve that looks someone deep... hmm.

i told my dad about the build and he knows someone from brazil so he might be able to get us some sweet wood :D and tomorrow hopefully im going to get my NEW router and New Orbital Sander. so, so far so good :D

The tools are building up. the info is gathering in my head thanks to all of you, you guys rock! then i just get the wood and start making my own build thread B)

If you need to order transtint, you may save some money at veneersupplies.com. They also sell supersoft2 if you're bending sides or ever decide to bend a top or a figured headstock laminate. Nothing against Stewmac except they're about the most expensive guys around. They do have wonderful stuff to make up for their prices.

Best,

Todd

If you need to order transtint, you may save some money at veneersupplies.com. They also sell supersoft2 if you're bending sides or ever decide to bend a top or a figured headstock laminate. Nothing against Stewmac except they're about the most expensive guys around. They do have wonderful stuff to make up for their prices.

Best,

Todd

yeah but im not looking to make a veneered guitar i want an actual top :-P thanks though ill look into that later