Les Paul Meets 7 String Superstrat

Davo

Sure its been done before, but for a first time build why not stick to the classics? This is a 26.5 inch scale semi-baritone to handle lower tuning and keep some tension in the strings - set neck with an angled heel joint for maximum access to the 24 frets. The plan is for a good deep carve but with restrained and smooth Super Strat lines plus some Les Paul touches (no body contouring, lots of binding, solid heel joint etc). 12 degree Ibanez-ish headstock with the tuners in-line.

Mahogany body, Queensland maple carve top (simlar characteristics to mahogany - just wanted to have some Aussie wood in there!), wenge/rock maple neck, ebony fingerboard;

dscf2420vz4.th.jpg

3.5 degree angle cut into the neck to keep the fingerboard close to the body and allow a TOM with string through - deep and long tenon so the string through hits the neck maple, quarter sawn and carbon fibre in the neck to keep the long and wide Ibanez Wizard thickness neck stable;

dscf2436mu3.th.jpg

dscf2441nj9.th.jpg

dscf2439ud2.th.jpg

Hey Kenny - the back is all "square" but the cap has a medium carve to show off the horns and the body - here was the first dry test fit;

dscf2553ea7.th.jpg

dscf2557hs6.th.jpg

I was looking to create a flow over the cap - i.e. not a high flat top with a carve down to the edges but to have the strings sitting in a gentle valley with the TOM posts recessed slightly to keep the height down - fretted and glued up now with binding;

dscf2593as6.th.jpg

dscf2592js8.th.jpg

You may not like the lack of figure, but the natural Queensland maple in the pictures looks pretty darn nice. If it was up to me I would leave it natural, figure isn't everything in my books. Either way though, nice solid build, looks like some clean work (especially on the fretboard!) I would love to see more of a side view of the carve top it looks very different then the usual carve. I Also like the staggered ferrules and the simple inlay. Amazing first build!

~Jeff

Edited by guitarchump

I know how you feel - the low dollar has certainly stopped the "fun" imports lately :D I think I have surprised myself with this project - the only timber things I have build in 30 years have been a couple of amp headcases and a speaker cab! It shows you the power of forums like this and the generosity of all the experienced guys that share their knowledge so freely.

I'm Sydney based so the mahogany blank and ebony fingerboard was from Gillet in Botany, wenge from Trend Timbers near Windsor and the rock maple and Qld maple from Anagote in Marrickville.

Sorry Jeff - definitely going black here - the "client" (number one son and metal guitarist) is calling the design shots... I'm using nitro to finish because it is forgiving for a beginner with their first compressor and gun. I'm trying black stain to get maximum depth in the clearcoat;

stainedsl0.th.jpg

staineddetailym6.th.jpg

maskedfortintedcoatgi8.th.jpg

First of the clearcoats;

clearcoat2un8.th.jpg

Hey thanks for the kind words guys - she buffed up really well after 4 weeks curing and only a little wet sanding required

I'm relying on the binding and the neck for some contrast and I'm particularly happy with the neck (I haven't had to touch the truss rod - it hasn't moved at all after the final string up last weekend).

Here is some heel and neck detail;

dscf3471bx5.th.jpg

dscf3470bp4.th.jpg

dscf3469zw6.th.jpg

dscf3465oi0.th.jpg

and the all important hardware specs;

Tonepros bridge

Graphtech Nut

Gotoh tuners

Bridge pickup - EMG 707

Neck pickup - EMG 81-7

2 x volume / no tone

3-way blade switch

She fired up first go and sounds great - no buzzing or dead spots - the neighbours are no doubt less happy to hear a new addition to the guitar family (i.e. the Framus has been cranked a few times :D all in the name of serious testing of course....) I'll let "the client" (Mikebot) fill you in on the playability and tone.

Glamour shots to follow......

Looks very nice, I think the same about the volute, for me I try to keep it under the nut. I think that is the place that might need reinforcement if any. And I think that you should had taken a little more attention to the binding on the neck joint area. Lots of minor imperfections that take away from an otherwise outstanding guitar. I never seen those rings for the EMG 7 series. I have seen custom one made, but never one that looks like the pups.

:D

Very nice! The binding is a nice touch, though like Maiden said...

A few thoughts:

-Have you thought about break angle over the bridge? I felt that with my Explorer, having the ferrules so far away from the bridge, I didn't get the "tight" feel of the strings like I liked. I know I started this topic before, and it's all personal feel, but still :D

-Why all black hardware and chrome knobs?

-I'm curious about those pickup rings as well. Really sharp!

-What's the total weight on this one?

-Love to hear some sound clips!

Hi All,

It is an interesting process getting enough breakover clearance on the TOM with a string through and a neck angle - even with lots of full scale plans drawn at the start (Perry would be proud of me...) it was a case of finessing the TOM height and the ferrule placement after the glue up. I basically had the bridge recessed as much as I wanted without dropping more than the posts into the body. I do like the look of the longer strings however, they add some drama to the overall design with the longer scale length.

Always interesting when you receive the "black" knobs in the post - and they are actually "black chrome" :D An easy one to fix down the track if they don't grow on me!

The pickup rings are from Fretsonthenet - really great customer service and as you say a classy match to the EMG's

It is a solid guitar - weight feels around 9 pounds, identical to a vintage Les Paul Custom we have here (I'll find some scales and weigh the beast soon...). She has some good low end - I'm sure the guitarist will get some clips happening now he has some time on his hands - not to mention some new recording gear!

I did have a few gaps here and there with the binding joints - but the biggest issue was having a very "sharp" joint on the heel just where your hand hits working the higher frets. This join ended up intentional, I kept sanding it round until it felt OK - doesn't look great but I figured I would only make things worse trying to inlay extra binding into the gap! ;

bindinglw9.th.jpg

And a few more pics while I'm at it.....

dscf3455re3.jpg

dscf3467vf4.jpg

dscf3454zb8.jpg

Awesome Davo!!

I love it...it looks like it wants to be played...hard! but is't got a little style and class about it too.

I reckon if I saw it in a shop I'd pick it up and give it a test drive.

I love everything about the look, chome knobs/black PU's, nice smooth lines with white binding to sharpen the edges a little, black hardtail with staggered ferrules, glassy finish, fender style switch NOT toggle, volute in a slightly different spot adds just a touch of uniqueness, sharp looking PU rings against a smooth lined body...WOW if this guitar was a woman she'd a beatiful Nubian princess with just a little agro B)

If it plays like it looks it must be a killer axe (I wonder about the long distance between the bridge and the ferrules too...I like a tight responsive feel I wonder whether this might make for something a little more relaxed (especially in dropped D which this guitar looks like it wants to be played at! :D )

If my first build turns out half as good I'll be stoked...GOTM for my money.

Makes me proud to be an Aussie, nice one Davo. :D