Jigsaw Grief

dpm99

I recently recovered an old jigsaw I'd bought sometime in the nineties. It's a cheap Black & Decker model. After putting in a new blade I tried to saw some 8/4 walnut with it the other day. It burned the wood. Lots. No problem for the project, as I was just cutting wood to length so I can make a body blank. But cutting across a 6" wide board was so tough that I really don't want to repeat the process on the rough cut of the body if the saw is the problem.

With Christmas coming up, I bet I could talk my wife into buying me a new jigsaw. (A bandsaw is kind of out of the question, due to space constrictions.) I'm just curious as to the difference between a good jigsaw and a poor jigsaw. Is it just that the cheap one will break, or will a good one actually cut better? If so, how much better? Will it make cutting 8/4 walnut easy?

Thanks,

Dave

I recently recovered an old jigsaw I'd bought sometime in the nineties. It's a cheap Black & Decker model. After putting in a new blade I tried to saw some 8/4 walnut with it the other day. It burned the wood. Lots. No problem for the project, as I was just cutting wood to length so I can make a body blank. But cutting across a 6" wide board was so tough that I really don't want to repeat the process on the rough cut of the body if the saw is the problem.

With Christmas coming up, I bet I could talk my wife into buying me a new jigsaw. (A bandsaw is kind of out of the question, due to space constrictions.) I'm just curious as to the difference between a good jigsaw and a poor jigsaw. Is it just that the cheap one will break, or will a good one actually cut better? If so, how much better? Will it make cutting 8/4 walnut easy?

Thanks,

Dave

My experience of buying a new jigsaw to replace my old B&D would make me think you should do do also :D The new jigsaws have an adjustable pendulum action, not just up and down. This makes them slice through thick wood like butter compared to straight up and down.

What is 8/4? The thickest hardwood I have cut was 2" thick NG Rosewood. But it is so much easier than the old B&D, or even the new one when you turn off the pendulum action.

A LOT better.

8/4 = 2" thick

The thickness of a piece of wood is often measured in quarters of an inch, which means: 4/4 = 1", 8/4 = 2", 2/4 = .5", etc.

My dad has a nice DeWalt jigsaw that I use, and it works really well. I personally don't know what to look for in jigsaw (besides the oscillating blade cut), so maybe some others can help out. Try searching, I think there has been at least a thread or two on quality jigsaws.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

I personally don't know what to look for in jigsaw...

I figure just spend a whole lot of money and you're good, right? :D

Bluesy, I remember somebody saying something like that about a new jigsaw recently. That was you, huh?

I think you guys have answered my question. I want a new jigsaw. Now... What to get? Time for more research.

Thanks!

I found the newer Hitachi on sale for I think $80 or $90 and I can say, that jigsaw is awesome. It was one of a few that had all the features I wanted. I had to go buy it after my B&D burnt out cutting templates. That hitachi can cut over 4inches in thickness in wood, its insane. Has a light, a blower which is a huge benefit, oscillating and all that good stuff. I also like the base of the tool, very flat and sturdy. I highly recommend that jigsaw if you can swing it, it'll cut nearly anything you need with no problem. Also it has super quick change for blades, you just pull a lever it drops out, you throw in the new one and bam. Great stuff. I have their router combo set as you've seen and it's also great stuff, I've been extremely pleased with their equipment. If you find that jigsaw on sale somewhere or used from someone who didn't use it much, I think it'd be a great purchase. As always you're more than welcome to borrow it for a while. I got mine from Lowes, they had some cheaper jigsaws from $40-$60 I think that were oscillating as well, but I doubt they had the power to have a thickness ability of 4 inches +, nor did they have little blowers on them I don't think and I find that one of the more useful little features on a jigsaw, makes following lines worlds easier. I'm sure you'll find a good one and let me know if you need to borrow mine while you shop around, no worries. J

This is the Jigsaw that I have, again I got it on sale for a bit cheaper than the listed price, I think it was a bit over $80 as I just saw the receipt when I was packing up to move. Great tool, looks alien, but works excellent.

Hitachi Jigsaw

Edited by jmrentis

The blade stays pretty well vertical, haven't had any problems with that, but I haven't cut anything near 8/4 stock yet with it. Mainly just thinner MDF and such like 1/2" and 3/4" and some maple I believe. I just looked up the Bosch and it does look like an excellent machine. Features wise I think its the same as the Hitachi, though the Bosch has a bit more in ampage, I think like 6.4 vs. 5.8. Not a huge difference, but a difference none the less. It depends on what you wanna spend and what it's use will be. In your position I know it'd be important to get one of these higher quality saws that'll take care of most of your cutting needs in luthierie and one that will last. I didn't compare weight of the saws, but thats something that always crosses my mind and I'd imagine the Hitachi to weigh less, but not certain if it would be a difference worth any concern. Here is another link I just ran across, I didn't read through it yet really, but it looked like it had some quality info on there, so maybe worth a look. Jigsaws.

I think you'd be plenty happy with the Hitachi, but if you find that the prices are close enough, might be worth it to get the Bosch. They seem to make great products. I did a lot of research when looking at routers and the Bosch was right at the top of the list along with the Hitachi and DeWalt I think was the other one. The newer PC looked like crap so that was out. Anyhow, I ended up with the Hitachi for certain reasons and was extremely pleased with everything about it and have had zero problems with either jigsaw or router. Definitely look around to see if either the Hitachi or Bosch have had any notorious problems come up with them, thats what I did with the routers. Found out certain routers like the Bosch has crummy switches that would end up busting real quick, I also think the Bosch or one of them would come not centered and they did not have the tool to center them in the box or sold at the store, so you had to call the company to get it and so on. I'd imagine someone has to have that Bosch, hopefully you can get some first hand info related to guitar building. Again, if you want to borrow the Hitachi for a bit to see what you think, you're welcome to take her for a test drive. See what you think. That Bosch does look really nice if you can find it for a decent price. Best of luck. J

Bosch :D

Don't forget you can sharpen the blades too, makes a huge difference. I used the same blade that came with my cheap ryobi for at least 4 years, just sharpened it when it didn't cut as well as I wanted. Finally it snapped so I ordered some nice blades for it, bloody things wouldn't cut into inch thick bubinga, just rubbed against it like it was stone. Quick wipe with a file across each tooth, cut like butter!! Just watch your fingers when installing and removing them.

I wouldn't recommend using the pendulum settings for anything but pine, but thats just me, and I'm stuck in my ways. I've got a newish bosch jigsaw lying around somewhere that I inherited, but I don't use because the ryobi does the job fine. I'm all for buying quality, but as long as it's not B&D you can't go too wrong. Seriously, why can't they make a motor that doesn't burn out?

Get the ryobi 9" bandsaw.(or Delta, or...) Mine was @$100. It's tiny. I put mine under the workbench when I don't need it. When you get it home, open the box take the blade off, and throw it out. The blade they come with is junk. Buy a good quality blade. I've got a Timberwolf on mine, and it cuts better than my dad's big expensive saw. It will do way more for you than a jig saw will, and the size shouldn't really be to bad.

Yeah, I've tried the Ryobi, and I'm sure the Delta is much better. However, I live in a second story apartment, and have to haul all my tools up and down the stair when I work. Plus, while the jigsaw can go in a drawer, the bandsaw would have to live in the recliner. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI:

I see Amazon has all the Bosch Jigsaws on sale. The top handle VS 5 amp model is $82. At least for today.

Amazon Deal