New Single Cut Design

Hi,

I have a project to share with you all. It is a new design I have been working on for a while, and what better way to test it than to build it.

Firstly the CAD.

cad2.jpg

The specs for this build are:

Fretboard: Ebony. with gold MOP inlays

Neck: 1 piece quartersawn wenge

Body: Fijian Mahogany (Honduras)

Top: figured maple

Cheers,

Peter

501-09.jpg

501-04.jpg

501-05.jpg

I usually don't make many comments in the "in work" section. But this design are unique and personally right up my alley. I love the shape of the body, the carved top and the inlay. The shape of the head, even thou it reminds me a bit of the Ovation head, works good together with the body shape. I would have altered the top curve of the head to maybe find some shape that connects even better to the body shape, but hey its your guitar and that is no real problem. The overall look remind me vaguely of both some Mosrites and some Italian-style guitar from the past.

In short: A look that has some classic elements but are genuine and personal.

Nice inlay! And I'm sure you could hollow the body out for even more weight reduction if you wanted to. I would be tempted to make everything one big cavity except for the electronics.

I really wish I could get some wenge to work with, because that neck will have some amazing grain when it's all carved. The body shape is a little elongated for me, but it should work well. Is the top carve going to have a hard edge, or will it be a more graduated transition? Either way could work to your advantage!

Thanks Decadantjon and Xanthus. The carve will be grdualated for the body and sharper around the horn. The line on the plans is more like a control line as a guide. i won't be chambering this particular build, however I have made up the template for future builds.

Some more progress pics below.

Gluing on the fretboard

501-18.jpg

The neck blank with the fretboard on.

501-19.jpg

The fretboard radiused and a lick of linseed oil ready for fretting.

501-20.jpg

The neck roughly shaped. Still need a bit of shaping.

501-22.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for the comments.

Wenge is one of my favourite timbers at the moment. It is a beautiful timber to leave unfinished due to it's oily nature and opened grained pores, it feels realy nice to play and has realy low friction, which makes it feel faster. The only disadvantage is that it is heavier than most traditional neck woods, however the extra sustain and resonance makes up for it twice fold I think.

Here are some pics of carving the top. Still a few blemishes to sand out.

Cheers,

Peter

501-29.jpg

501-30.jpg

501-31.jpg

501-32.jpg

only disadvantage being weight!!!! what about those bloody splinters :D

i must admit i seem to be including wenge in a lot of builds recently... been a while since i did a whole neck out of it but there is usually a lam or two

really liking this guitar!

• 2 months later...

Nice guitar bro and if I can make one critiscmn and that is I would of stained the top a black or very dark brown let it soak in the grain and then sand off when it's dry. The reason being is it will accent the flame and make it really pop out when you get the red stain on it and then when you clearcoat it you will be amazed at the detail. How do i know I did exactly like you and the red was way overpowering and dulled the flame, trust me bro on this Laz.

Thanks for the comments,

Comic Sans? Do you mean a font? PB are my initials, which I signed by hand, digitised, and cut by hand. No fonts used. What font would you recommend. Times New Roman?

I experimented with various combinations of stain with black on a piece of scrap, however the black, no matter how much I sanded back ended up making the colour more bougandy. I was after the fire engine red colour with the the figure demonstrating a variation in tone, rather than the the "tiger stripe" look you get with a black/brown understain. It would look good, just not what I was going for with this build.

Cheers,

Peter

Comic Sans? Do you mean a font? PB are my initials, which I signed by hand, digitised, and cut by hand. No fonts used. What font would you recommend. Times New Roman?

I'm sorry man, to me the letters on the "PB" logo looked very similar to the "Comic Sans" font. To clarify; The Tribalesque-flame-thing ( which is really cool ) and the "PB" are not complementing eachother, that's what made me react in the first place. I realize now that I completely douched-up and should've shut up.

Hope that made some sense and.. again, I'm sorry!

Hey Cactus, I meant for my reply regarding fonts to be light-hearted. Please don't take my reply as a backhand. I suppose I should have put one of these after it. :D .

Diehardrocker, I have pics on page 1 of the thread. The first pic is where I route the depth, which determines wher I carve up to at the edges. The second pic is where I rough out the carve with an angle-grinder fitted with a sanding disc. From there (third pic) I refine and tidy the carve with a small thumb plane and file (where appropriate).And then sand with a 120grit sanding pad on an orbital sander to smooth out the curves. Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter