retainers on floyd equiped guitars

hi all

i am have an argument with my friend about retainers.

now i am saying retainers are necessary on floyd equiped guitars, pegheaded or straight headed. and as they are present in most floyd guitars.

now he is saying they are pointless.

what does everyone think about reatainers on floyd equpied axes?

Page.

Depends on the guitar.

On some guitars they provide downward pressure on the strings to keep them from going super sharp when the nut is locked (or, believe it or not, just plain popping out of the nut). But I own a couple of guitars without them with fairly extreme peghead angles and putting one on those would be a waste of time.

So, to answer your question. For the most part they sever a purpose, but they are not, in any way, NECESSARY. Also they have nothing to do with intonation. Intonation only affects what occurs between the nut and the bridge. If your lock nut is in proper working order you can cut the headstock off and continue playing in tune.

I think they are very nice to have. Without them, locking the nut would likely result in a significant change in tuning (by going sharp). I guess if the headstock angles back more than the nut angle, they may not provide any use in this regard. My guitars don't have this steep of an angle, so the retainers are needed.

I don't think I understand the comment about intonation earilier in this thread. The retainers would never affect the intonation.

stupid debates i have with my friend. they are always questions like that - really thin bordered i call them. it kind of reminds how in seinfeld, george and jerry's bald friend [no, not george, another dude] fight over a car park in front of jerry's apartment, they are there for hours arguing over who was there first. even the people around them start arguing over who got the car space first. anyway, thanx for the help, it is always appreciated.

Page.

well i did mention seinfeld so yeah, it is an argument about nothing. :D

Page.

cheers D!