Ric Bass Build Mark Ii: The Rickenbaker

Really pleased to have managed to find a Ric bridge in the UK at a good price.

bridge.jpg

Here's the little trick with the inlay dots where you drill into a block of sycamore in this case, using a 7mm brass tube then cut little scetions off the end with a hacksaw to get brass/wood inlay dots for the fretboard.

Also managed to get a Seymour Duncan ric-replacement bridge pickup and a Kent Armstring ric bass neck toaster for this one.

Here's the inevitable early mock-up shot.

mockup.jpg

Note: Body wings are laminated but not trimmed to correct size yet, which is why the lower one looks so big and the bass looks off-centred.

CF rods set into the neck, next the neck will be routed for the truss rod. Once that is fixed we can start cutting out all the wood on the underside and shaping the neck.

Neck pup is Kent Armstrong Toaster.

Standard Ric 4001/3 scale length is 33.25", = 845mm

Trust them to be quirky :D

very cool you are keeping this to actual scale length - I think that scale length has a big part of the Rickenbacker sound. I love that "chris squire/geddy lee" sound from the 70's. can't wait to see this one (and hopefully hear it too)- keep up the good work.

Has anyone ever noticed in the Melvyn Hiscock book he has the scale length listed for a ricky 4001 as 32 1/2" (i have second edition- perhaps this has been updated), that threw me for a while before rickenbacker posted their scale length- I thought perhaps the re-issues were just made with existing factory machining set ups- rather than going back to "true" scale length if Hiscock's book was correct (I figured a second edition would have had errors like that corrected)- curious- if anyone has the new Hiscock edition- scale lengths are shown in chapter 3- if it still has 32.5 I might just try to contact Hiscock to let him know. (**** retentive information seeker that I am- always hoping to have my facts straight when it comes to talking guitars with people).

it has the fretting table on page 204 listed as rickenbacker and that is 32.5", and it says it on page 15 as you say.

since the book is about making your own guitar design rather than exact copies i think melvyn can be forgiven if the info is wrong.