Grain Filling Epoxy

gtx

i was wondering when grain filling if you could use any brand of epoxy or if it has to be slow drying. i am grain filling a wenge neck and am spraying it with nitro laquer (if that makes a difference). what brands do you reccomend.

thanks, any help will be appreciated.

Zpoxy is more forgiving on the mix ratio - System 3 is very fussy that way, you need to use a gram scale to weigh it out.

Make sure you get the "Finishing Resin" and not the adhesive.

has any one ever used loctite slow setting epoxy, we seen some at ace that was 60 min. set time

Never tried it but the pros at work, ie. fibreglassers, painters etc. swear by a product they call "WEST System". That stands for Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique I've only seen it at work in the larger volumes (quarts etc) with special dispensing systems. But they do supply it in smaller quantities. Its good reading and the product specifically designed for doing this kinda thing.

Edited by Southpa

has any one ever used loctite slow setting epoxy, we seen some at ace that was 60 min. set time

Forget that stuff - that's for kids. I tried it once and it stayed sticky forever. Go with the real deal (Zpoxy, System3, or West System).

+1 to all that. I have had nothing but problems with the Loctite brand epoxy. Bad for gluing, worse for finishing.

Forget that stuff - that's for kids. I tried it once and it stayed sticky forever. Go with the real deal (Zpoxy, System3, or West System).

+1 to all that. I have had nothing but problems with the Loctite brand epoxy. Bad for gluing, worse for finishing.

Funny, I've never had a problem with the Loctite stuff. The "set time" is a lie, it's more like the open time because the stuff doesn't become really hard for at least 24 hours. But it's super easy to mix a small quantity up for gluing in carbon fiber rods and such.

I would never try to finish with the stuff, it costs a fortune on a per oz basis and is so thick and gooey it'd just be a mess.

Best,

Todd

+1 for Zpoxy.

I have just used it on a mahogony body with a maple cap. It not only filled the mahogony grain like a dream, but it popped the maple grain beautifully.

Really easy to apply too, although my credit card won't work in the ATM for some reason.

Denis

Really easy to apply too, although my credit card won't work in the ATM for some reason.

Ha!! First time I used it, I snagged one of my bondo spreaders and was so happy with the result I set the spreader down and came in the house to show my wife. She was on the phone so I waited :D you can guess the rest.

• 2 weeks later...