No Space For Workshop? What Do You Do?

Dylanwad

I'm working out the logistics of setting up a wood working shop for myself, my problem is I don't have the space for one! My parents are close and have a garage so I could set up in there but I couldn't set up a permanent shop due to the place not being mine and a trailor is stored there most of the time (which I could move outside to the yard when working in the garage).

Are any of you in a similar situation? I was thinking that I could use a fold away table to work on and I could just put all the tools away in a small cupbord in the garage. This way I would have a place to work and wouldn't take over thaeir garage!

I'm working out the logistics of setting up a wood working shop for myself, my problem is I don't have the space for one! My parents are close and have a garage so I could set up in there but I couldn't set up a permanent shop due to the place not being mine and a trailor is stored there most of the time (which I could move outside to the yard when working in the garage).

Are any of you in a similar situation? I was thinking that I could use a fold away table to work on and I could just put all the tools away in a small cupbord in the garage. This way I would have a place to work and wouldn't take over thaeir garage!

Sell the trailor when they're not looking, and use the funds to buy tools! :D

The folding table thing could work - think also about setting one up in the driveway.

One of the reasons (there are so many) I choose hand tools over power tools is that I can bring my work upstairs into the livingroom in the evening. Of course, I'm very lucky in that I have a girlfriend who tolerates chips and curls (I never use sandpaper either) piling up as we watch the TV or dog. I own a top quality router, but haven't heard its musical (NOT) voice since my cabinet making years.

A shelving unit and a cabinet to store tools is all I started with and I used a Workmate for a table. I now have a full garage, but with a little patience and some extra time for cleanup the original set up worked just fine. At least then my tools went away every night instead of sitting on the bench thinking they'll be there in the morning. The tool gremlins are cunning.

Yea, I'm in the same boat now and its tough. I have a bandsaw over in the garage and with it I bought a shopfox which is like a set of wheels for it, so it can be stored in a corner, but wheeled out when needed. Obviously not the preferred method, but amazingly I get almost no vibration from that setup, of course while it use it has little feet that lift it off the wheels. Then I have a router table top that I bought from Rockler and its just the top, so I can store it anywhere very easily and can pull it out and setup it up very easily as well. I like the table too, not bad for the price I got it. The new ones are a lot more pricey, but are nicer as well. Then I have a big tupperware box basically that I keep all my handtools and sandpaper and such in. With the rest of my power tools, like angle grinders, dremels, jigsaws, etc stored away on a shelf. Technically you can store some tools at your own place and just bring them with you as needed if there isn't any room. Between handtools, my bandsaw, and router I feel comfortable in doing most tasks. The router can be used in so many ways that I don't have to purchased other large tools like planers and such, although I would much prefer having those. If you do setup over at your parents just remember buy a decent shopvac if you don't have one because routers can make a heck of a mess in a hurry, lol. Oops, one tool you're going to need over there is a drill press. I shopped around to find one I liked and would fit on a bench and ended up with the 12" Delta and I like it a lot. Worlds better than most bench top drillpresses I've seen, yet it fits well on the bench. A drill press is one of those tools I don't know I could do without, but there are ways I'm sure.

I built my first one in an apartment in New York City :D. You can always make due with what space you have.

I've since moved up to the smallest workshop on the planet. I only have room to work on one or two guitars at time, max.

I live in a 3 apartment house, and I'm in the back on the 2nd floor. I use my porch whenever I have to use powertools due to the noise and sawdust. Other than that, I do everything on the kitchen floor. Everything on the porch is done on an old TV stand that we've turned into an outdoor coffee table. Its good for clamping, and it cleans easily.

I store all my tools under the sink in the kitchen.

If i need to paint, the University that's next to me allows me to use their studios.

Well I've just faced this problem for my first build, but I found the solution to it.

I am going to work outside undercover on a purchased workbench. It might be small, but it will do the job. My hope is it can last with power tools without wobbling too much.

As for painting, I'll have to go to my father's for that (100km away). His garage has been a painting shed for the last 2 months, and its very clean. Worst thing comes to worst, I do a lot of stuff there, and just stay there for a little bit.

Here is a free link to a woodworking magazine. This issue talks about small space shops. This was a free link provided by Rockler not hacked by me. Page 56.

Woodworkers Journal