Where To Find Hard To Find Wood

NotYou

I have a customer that wants a neck-thru bass. It's going to be a laminate neck with a few parts, but with two wide strips of curly maple.

The problem is I can't find good curly maple that long. I definitely know it's out there because Ive seen it plenty of times. Does anyone know where to look? Obviously, you don't live near me, but a website would be good.

He also wants cocobolo or koa wings. I found some, but I'm trying to shop around. If anyone knows of a good dealer, I'd appreciate it.

The bass also includes andaman padauk(vermillion wood), purpleheart(neck and body laminate), maple veneer, and ebony laminates. Except for the purpleheart body laminate, which I can find in larger sizes and cut down, I've found all of those locally.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by NotYou

You can try exoticwoods.com if you haven't already. But the best thing to do is get in touch with a hardwood supplier, I thought with the area I was in was restricted to online orders as well, but I found a dealer in my area that stocks over 160 species of wood in all shapes and sizes. The worst that you will have to do is contact a supplier outside your area and have the wood shipped to you.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/

I wouldn't use them for figured woods because you really need to see what you're getting, but for unfigured woods they're not bad. They're a little high on the price, but the shipping is pretty reasonable, which counteracts it a bit.

How much have you used them? How is there customer service?

www.gilmerwood.com

They have some really nice prices! they also show what you're buying, which is great. A lot of companies don't show the actual pieces you're getting.

Thanks everyone for the links. It's a big help.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/

I wouldn't use them for figured woods because you really need to see what you're getting, but for unfigured woods they're not bad. They're a little high on the price, but the shipping is pretty reasonable, which counteracts it a bit.

How much have you used them? How is there customer service?

I've only used them once. The packaging was superb and the customer service was outstanding.

They have some really nice prices! they also show what you're buying, which is great. A lot of companies don't show the actual pieces you're getting.

I have bought from them twice...a total of about a dozen pieces of wood.All were superb with no flaws,checking,etc...and it was always the exact piece shown in the pics.

Only drawback is they are tough(in a way) to order from...you must email them or call on the phone.

But it's worth it.nobody else has wood as good that I know of...