Hey my name is Ryan and i was building my first guitar. I'll probably make a second one once i get it down, but i was wondering whats the cheapest wood would be but yet still strong enought it wouldn't break when strings are put on it (it's going to be a straight through). I want to paint it a solid color so I'm not worrying about how it looks. if anyone can give me any help that would be great. :D ROCK ON!!

Go to your local hardwood store and see what you can find! You might find something you really like within your price range. Some of the cheaper woods to consider are basswood, maple, and African mahogany. If you really want to keep your budget down, go with mdf, pine, or plywood for your body. It works. You'll need a decent piece of wood for your neck. Maple is an excellent choice, as is mahogany. Make sure it's free from flaws.

-Dave

Decent hardwood doesn't have to be too expensive.

You can make a perfectly serviceable solid body of poplar. You can check Home Depot for poplar, but you're probably not going to find any that's thick enough to use for a body without laminating a couple layers together (which is fine). Just be careful that it's dry.

If you have a Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. nearby, check there for maple, poplar, even basswood or cherry.

True, all above. Mahogany, basswood and poplar are easier to work than most as long as you study what causes router tearing/chipout and how to prevent it. Woods require different paint prep....most woods are open grained and require the pore structure to be filled to achieve a smooth and consistent solid finish, whereas some require little or none. Maple is probably the easiest in terms of a finishing strategy.

I personally would say "use maple and mahogany" for a first time neck through. The maple - if selected well - will create a more stable neck and isn't crazy expensive. Mahogany for wings is cheap also.

Use search on:

- quartersawn

- flatsawn

- grain filling

- neck laminates

...or more specifically, go through the "In progress and completed builds" section of the board and see what other people's choices and reasoning behind their selections has been. Everything you need will have been discussed in some form on here, and will help you make your first steps in a refined design.

To cap your first question - very few woods will break under string tension on a guitar, but that doesn't mean they'll make a stable neck! A good cheap primer in neck and body woods can be found on the Warmoth website with very general descriptions on each woods reliability and characteristics in necks/bodies. For example - don't use basswood as a neck material :-D

Good luck!

Edited by Prostheta

Hey my name is Ryan and i was building my first guitar. I'll probably make a second one once i get it down, but i was wondering whats the cheapest wood would be but yet still strong enought it wouldn't break when strings are put on it (it's going to be a straight through). I want to paint it a solid color so I'm not worrying about how it looks. if anyone can give me any help that would be great. :D ROCK ON!!

hey Ryan

First its location that determines what is inexpensive in your area. When I lived in the North East Alder was more than Maple, In the West Alder is cheaper than Maple. Most of the suggestions here are valid wood choices, domestic woods will be cheaper. Find a hardwood dealer and go look at his stock and prices, they let you browse without buying. IF you find an unusual wood we can tell you yeah or nay if you are unsure.

Now go find a local dealer and price some for yourself. LOL