Customised Brand Name Guitars

hahahha...that's a great pic!

Ok...I specialize in such things...

bluetele9.jpg

My main guitar...follow the link in the signature for details to the thread.

Features FWRHB and SCn pickups, LSR nut and locking tuners, Khaler hybrid tremolo, custom wiring with phase switch and DIY sustainer, paint...original guitar squier 25th anniversary tele!

Here's my nightmare strat in the works (still)...LINK...

strat1.jpg

Unfortunately, the wiring has got the better of me...for the moment...

antiKISSwiring1.jpg

This is a squier contemporary strat bought new (at half price because of the discolouration of one strip of mahogany). The control system was designed and built by me and features what the GuitraNuts2 forum dubbed "uber-switches" :D ...

switchpotknob1.jpg

Each pot is a push pull dpdt switch and a 4pdt rotary (similar to an S-1)...so significant switching power...plus a 4p5t super switch for good measure.

Pickups are SD JB HB and fender Noiselsess JB pickups. Stealth ultra thin sustainer coil in the neck pickup. Also, piezo element in the neck joint. The pickup ring and the secret battery compartment in the back is lined in Emu leather and tortoiseshell elements and all the screws have been replaced with 3mm allen key bolts. Roller string trees and locking tuners!

Clearly the most over capitalized Squiers in existence!

I have done quite a few over the years...I literally wore this one out...

StratTop.jpg

I just kept hacking away at it over the years. Features an extensively hollowed out body so it is ultra light, first pickup/driver sustainer, extensive switching mods...special tweaks to the tremolo like DIY staggered tuners using plumbing supplies! $50 no name guitar from a pawn shop...blockboard and ply body stained and painted by me...includes letraset motifs!

pete

Got an LP junior customization in progress:

Originally-

579951.jpg

Now(this is true to color, it's a beautiful finish)-

guitar2copy.jpg

Control cavity, just for grins. Starting to move into pete's territory here, there's not even room for the battery, haha. But that's okay, I'm going to go with phantom power for this. I've tried plugging in the battery and just taping it to the side. The gain on this little unit is insane, 25dB, moves my little Blackheart into half stack territory with balls-out preamp and power amp distortion. Turned down to 3-6dB it gives a nice clean boost that gives it a lot of clarity. It's noisy, but still well below the signal volume, and I don't mind a little extra noise.

The 500k tone/volume and .022uF cap is great with the p-90, I have tons of treble to go around, and usually only play around 4-5. 0 is dead sounding and 10 is like a squier tele with some cheap ceramic pups, so there's a huge range of sound I can get.

This is just the first step. I'm currently selling off some parts from my old strat to fund parts for this one. Going to replace all of the original plastic parts with aluminum ones, get some locking studs(possibly an intonable bridge too), and maybe some locking tonepros/kluson tuners.

Here's the pickguard I was looking at:

55c7_3.JPG

Edited by Keegan

Here's an Ibanez Sabre type that was modded and repainted for a Doctor of Physics and rock guitarist (Dr Mark Lewney), who tours schools and university's giving lectures on the physics of acoustics around the UK and abroad.

The original pickup selector switch was changed to give more options (and more space for the artwork). The jack socket was also moved to the back of the guitar body.

Higgs-Decay-Ibanez.1.jpg

Before

Higgs-Decay-Ibanez.152.jpg

After

Jim :D

Edited by Foggy

Steinberger GP-2 customised with union flag scratchplate, bareknuckle pickups (BKP) painkiller humbucker and 'full power' switch

gwem1.jpg

MIM 70's reissue strat with BKP vintage trem, BKP slowhand singlecoils with a zinc baseplate on the bridge pickup, One of my necks with dual CF reinforcement, acrylised B/E maple board, 23 frets and gotoh height adjustable locking tuners (strings do not actually touch the string trees they are just for the look).

gwemstrat.jpg

Random strat copy fitted with one of my rosewood/maple necks with a few aluminium inlays to match the handpainted body and diamond plate guard. BKP warpig pickup

n620718659_1154941_6349.jpg

Washburn N2 with one of my sapelle/ziracote necks and black pearl roman numeral inlays - not overly visable

new3.jpg

new1.jpg

My first telecatser with top 3/8" of body removed so it could be hollowed and and converted to a thinline esquire with spalted beech top and strat neck

wv2.jpg

• 1 month later...

To:keiper.jpg

This is a Keiper Les Paul copy I got for about £50. I gave it Grover locking machine heads, pick up covers, tele knobs, repositioned pick up selector switch, kill switch, Graph Tech nut and saddles, black hardware and straplocks.

I have to admit that I don't play it that often, the heel is huge! My acoustic (Yamaha APX-4) has better upper fret access.

This is what got me started and led me to this forum.

Ignore the decal, I was just amusing myself!

What used to be an Ibanez RG250DX (has since been parted for a corvus build entry lol)

Yanked out the pickups and installed Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and a Hotrails in the middle positions. Later on I switched them out for EMG's 81/85 set. Then the bridge died on me, so i replaced it with a Gold Schaller Floyd. I found a piece of useless metal in it and threw it out. Turns out it was what was keeping the trem posts from leaning due to the lack of density in basswood.

I also scalloped the neck from frets 12-24. Pretty sloppy scalloping, but it was my first time. Here it is in its prime.

P1140032.jpg

P1140034.jpg

This next one is an Ibanez GSR100. I had the body routed to hold a J pickup, which made it a GSR200. Then I switched out the necks for a fretless. Then, because the luthier that made the neck for me was retarded, I had to remove a bit of the end of the neck in order to get the scale length correct. I removed the end of the neck incorrectly. Lesson learned. Then I replaced the pickups with EMG's p/j set. It sounded A LOT better with both fretless and fretted necks after that.

IMG_1000.jpg

PB170001.jpg

From this:

Photo0109.jpg

Photo0108.jpg

To this:

Photo0155.jpg

This was a Teisco short scale bass that was literally trashed. Rebuilt, made fretless and installed two guitar humbuckers. Amazingly, it has a great tone and sustain.

Planning on buying a Harmony telecaster for $22 at a local buy n sell store and modify it...maybe it will end up here.

Edited by Chuck_Chill-Out

I once had a broken Stagg bass... sanded of the paint, tried to glue a veneer on top and failed. So I decided to just attack it with the sander and keep that look. And I added four more tuners, which worked perfectly. Self-made machine heads :D They stay in tune (bad thing is: tuning requires tools :D ) and the new 8-string sounds great, never heard such an instrument live before, it's cool.

From this

BILD1340.jpg

to this

BILD1580.jpg

and another closeup of the headstock

From this:

PC300099.jpg

To this:

PICT1566.jpg

PICT1567.jpg

This Washburn is my test mule for anything I need to try, and as a result has actually become my favourite axe!!

Mods include: CNC total re-rout for Floyd trem; nut changed to locking version; Vai-style monkey grip added; DiMarzio Evo2 and mini-humbuckers added; one-off crackle paint job (which was an accident, but I loved it so I kept it!); tuners replaced with black Wilkinsons. It also has a battery compartment rout added in case I ever install active pickups or a sustainer or something.

It's made of really cheap light wood (some kind of ply) but I just love the weight balance and the feel of it. The neck is fantastic!!

Seriously, I would never part with this one. I seem to reach for it every day. I think I find it the most satisfying guitar to play that I own. It will probably continue to evolve as well.

DJ

This was my first (half) project. did it about 4 years ago for a friend. the guitar used to be a samic strat but he needed a travel guitar so I chopped it...

the midi pickup is a later addition

IMG_5238Large.jpg

Interesting guitar. You wouldn't know that it had been a strat.

Whats the pickguard made of?

Are those doggy slippers?

Edited by MexicanBreed

Interesting guitar. You wouldn't know that it had been a strat.

Whats the pickguard made of?

Are those doggy slippers?

Pickguard is a piece of 2.5mm mahogany over 0.6mm maple veneer.

I since learned that a 2 piece lamination of woods this thin will warp, so now I do odd number of cross layers when doing wooden pickguards (3-5).

And yes, those are doggy slippers. every man should have a pair.