New Swirl. Orange, Black, Red And Yellow (pics)

I'm not generally a fan of swirls, however...

The way the browns work around the upper and lower cutaways make it look very wood-like.

It would be interesting to see a complete instrument in this brown swirl. It would look almost like a stained finish, yet with an impossible grain pattern.

Maybe a sunburst finish around the edges to complete the illusion.

wow thats awesome, care to share your technique?

Thanks!

The way I do it is no secret and nothing else I've read on the Internet.

- Water

- Borax. A few cups of it.

- Revell enamel paints. Gloss ones, not matt.

I mixed the borax in the water, let it settle down for 15-20 minutes. Then

I drop in the paints. Only a little of 'em. Dip the body, get rid of the paint

that still floats on the surface and pull the guitar out.

Took me quite a few tests to get 'em look right. Now I've swirled two

gutar bodies.

Looks great!

How thick a layer of floating paint do you need... I ask because I'm imagining it would be pretty easy, especially with the handle cutout, to get spots that might not touch any paint.

I may be wrong; I've never seen it done.

Edited by Rick500

What kind of clear did you use? Any pics of what it did to the paint? Or description? Looking at the before's of the swirls, clearing would take several coats to get it nice an even. I have never seen one in person, but I think the enamel dries unevenly based on how the paint lays for the swirl. Or at least it looks that way from the pictures...Gotta make sure all your paints from fillers, sealers, primers, base, etc are compatable...

What kind of clear did you use? Any pics of what it did to the paint? Or description? Looking at the before's of the swirls, clearing would take several coats to get it nice an even. I have never seen one in person, but I think the enamel dries unevenly based on how the paint lays for the swirl. Or at least it looks that way from the pictures...Gotta make sure all your paints from fillers, sealers, primers, base, etc are compatable...

I used a local clear that's supposed to work well with both oil-based and water based paints.

Well, you'll always learn more things. I'm happy with the swirl, though =)

Looks great!

How thick a layer of floating paint do you need... I ask because I'm imagining it would be pretty easy, especially with the handle cutout, to get spots that might not touch any paint.

I may be wrong; I've never seen it done.

Not thick. The paint is fully dried in a few minutes after it's pulled back from the water. Touch dry in 5 seconds.

Looks great, that red was definitely not cooperating with you. But it looks as if the body was not completely prepared. Like raw wood (can see the grain in some pics). But I do think that you have great skills on the style! I tried a few times and got frustrated quickly. I might give it a shot, since my son appears to like it (thanks to you I guess)!

Looks great, that red was definitely not cooperating with you. But it looks as if the body was not completely prepared. Like raw wood (can see the grain in some pics). But I do think that you have great skills on the style! I tried a few times and got frustrated quickly. I might give it a shot, since my son appears to like it (thanks to you I guess)!

Yeah, thought it was well prepared. Looked nice and was sanded with 500 grit paper.

There's still a lot to learn. But as far as the swirl's conserned, I'm really happy with it.