Mattharris75's Corvus Build-off Entry

Dude...It uh, looks like ash. Which is what it is. :D

And it looks the same as it did in every other picture. And it's going to look very cool the way I plan on finishing it.

I know what ash is... I use it all the time for the bodies I put up on eBay. The grain is just a lot more pronounced now that it's carved and the rest looks more yellow than normal. I'm sure it's the lighting.

Dean - here's the lowdown on the Corvus build-off. Corvus build-off thread You can skip to the end to get the final set of rules.

I know what ash is... I use it all the time for the bodies I put up on eBay. The grain is just a lot more pronounced now that it's carved and the rest looks more yellow than normal. I'm sure it's the lighting.

Yeah, I was joking about not knowing what ash is. :D And the lighting is very poor in that room, the lamp in there has an antiqued amber sort of shade, which doesn't help. Plus, I adjusted the contrast a bit to help the carving show up a bit more clearly. It still looks like it did in the other pictures, in real life.

Thanks for the tip on the curved scraper, Wez, I'll have to give that a go!

Now that I'm seeing it all start to happen, I'm not sure that the tele thing is going to work. This has an oddball shape to begin with, and you added sharp bevels. THAT part looks great. A tele is a really conservative, traditional guitar, so using the bridge & setup the way it's drawn on the face.... it just looks out of place. You've made the Corvus into a kind of metal shape (again - great), but a tele just isn't metal.

Is it too late to consider a H-S-S setup?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making progress on this build. I don't really have any pretty pictures to show, so I guess I'll show an ugly picture. :D

I did the rough carve of the bevels on the bottom, and have worked to clean everything up with a scraper. However, I still have a long way to go with that. I went ahead and did 2 coats of black grainfiller because I was having trouble seeing the contours in the ash. This should help give me a visual representation of where I've worked, and let me see the lines a bit more clearly.

The final look of the finish won't be quite so gray, as I will sand off the black grainfiller on the body, leaving the black only in the pores. I'll finish it with tru oil and steel wool for more of a matte finish with a slight ambering of the wood rather than the gray that it appears now.

Anyway, as odd and unfinished as the picture appears, I figured I'd go ahead and post it as a visual sign of my progress, such as it is... :D

Telus-grainfilled1.jpg

That looks mad for an ugly guitar! I really like what you've done with the bevels and such. Is it gonna have a neck p/up matt? The only thing i think would look better is more of that lovely ash body to be seen and no pickguard. Just my opinion though :D

Edited by chops1983

Looking good! I'm jeleous of all the progress made by you two.

I'm still in all the way, don't worry. I just ordered an Indian rosewood neckblank. Doesn't count as expensive wood pron as it was IMO dirt cheap (27bucks). Wednesday I'll go get mahogany and start work. I won't be quick as this is only my second build and first build actually doing the neck. I reckon that will be the most timeconsuming.