Mannmade Usa Bridges

Odd. How long have you been trying to contact them? You might look into paypal's buyer protection if it's been longer than a week, and at least open a case. If they don't respond to that, you can send the case to Paypal and they'll look into it and refund your money if they find something's up.

I've had this problem before(with another company), but then the item appeared in the mail without me ever receiving word from the company so I closed the case.

Edited by Keegan

I've had someone request their PRS style vibrato bridge for an upcoming build, and even though the site is online and accepting orders, I can't get a response by e-mail or phone.

Anybody know what's up with them? I may be looking to get my money back!

http://www.mannmadeusa.com/

I get a dead link. Submit it to PayPal ASAP.

So the guy won't respond to an e-mail or voice mail, but he immediately responds to the Paypal dispute that I opened just minutes ago. :D

He says he was ready to ship my bridge today (imagine that)- but now he won't ship it until I close the dispute which will allow him to withdraw the money I sent him. The thing is, if I close the dispute - I can't reopen it if he doesn't ship me the bridge. Arrrghhh, this is annoying!

Edited by Metalhead28

If you could not get a reply by phone,you should not trust him until the package is at your door.

Express your concerns to him...is he a verified member of paypal?I have never heard of this type of bridge...looks nice though.

He should ship the bridge,then when it arrives you close the dispute.If he can not do that after 9 days of no contact,then at least you are not out the money

I don't trust him...other businesses would ship immediately just to get the dispute closed...those are expensive bridges.

Well, it can take up to two weeks for the package to reach him from Hong Kong, then a few extra days for him to ship the package to you.

Seriously, there is no indication whatsoever that this company actually makes these parts. There's nothing at all to indicate that they are in any way different from any other similarly manufactured part coming from any one of a number of Chinese factories.

And the fact that he didn't respond promptly (it's not like he'd be receiving hundreds of orders every day...unless he's actually responding from the office in Guangdong) and only after launching a dispute-and then is trying to hold you hostage before he'll finally ship the part-- pretty much tells you what you need to know.

Do not end the dispute until you have received the part.

I've a mannmade trem on a custom build and they are great. Search birdsandmoons (PRS) form and there are a few threads with regards to wait times. As far as I know its a one man shop working part time so there can be delays, although the products are worth the wait.

Edited by t_hamill

Seriously, there is no indication whatsoever that this company actually makes these parts.

What, there's tons of info on Mannmade bridges, quite apart from the PRS tie up. It's also well documented that he is a one man band (no pun intended) and that his delivery dates are slow but well worth the wait.

Remember he's the same as any one man operation - the more time he spends answering people chasing him every 5 minete's the less time he has to get on with making what you want.

What, there's tons of info on Mannmade bridges,

I couldn't find any info on his site, other than that the company's name changed. Unless his site only works with IE?

I didn't bother to use google, so I don't know what other people are saying. I guess his web site fits in with his lack of communications skills. :D

Metalhead - i wasn't implying you'd been hassling him, sorry i perhaps didn't word it very well. What i was implying is that he has a reputation for being somewhat late in his deliveries and short in his customer service 10 seconds on google confirmed that) so he's probably got more than a few individuals and probably one or two companies chasing him so he locks down even more.

Over the past twenty years in my day work i have dealt with a number of small scale racing car manufacturers and small scale precision engineering companies and to be honest probably half of them were just the same - inspired and intelligent people who were just so wrapped up in what they were doing the outside world didn't seem to even exist let alone matter - so perhaps i'm more used to dealing with such people.

No worries.

Yeah, my own searching uncovered at least a few people who claimed that he took their money and they never heard from him - or if he did speak to them, he was still giving them the run around after several months or even years. I'd like to sympathize, but I guess I just don't have the patience. If the guy is going to take my money - he needs to communicate.

I'd still love to buy the bridge from him - but it's yet to be seen if he's going to send me one. He told me it was all ready to ship, so we'll see.

Over the past twenty years in my day work i have dealt with a number of small scale racing car manufacturers and small scale precision engineering companies and to be honest probably half of them were just the same - inspired and intelligent people who were just so wrapped up in what they were doing the outside world didn't seem to even exist let alone matter - so perhaps i'm more used to dealing with such people.

To be honest... I get this way too. People want pictures, to talk on the phone, ask a million email questions, etc. This is really hard to keep up on when trying to produce class A work. What happens is I will so engrossed with what I'm doing that I sort of fall off the grid for a few days at a time. However, I always make it a point to acknowledge any transactions immediately, and apologize for any delay in responding to questions. Always, always, always I send at least a brief THANK YOU message no matter how busy I am!!

My point here is that not responding at all is just plain and simple terrible business practice!! Horrible! If I did that, and someone opened a dispute or wanted their money back, well how could I blame them? Good grief. We all live in a world of crooks and scams.

As a customer myself, I just want acknowledgment that the vendor knows I exist and that they received the cash I gave them. In my opinion here, you have every right to get cold feet. Some business transactions are not worth the baggage that you have to carry with it.

Just my 2 cents... it struck a nerve, sorry if it's a rant. :D

-Doug

I agree Doug.

I'm not sure how many people are familiar with Patrick Sims and his painting business.

He seemed to believe in the "I'm so busy, and my work is so great, that you just have to deal with not knowing when you are getting your guitar back" approach to business.

It's very simple.

If you know that it will take a long time to get your merchandise out, specify that.

You don't have to tell people that it's because you're disorganized, but at least they'll know it might be a while.

And personally I don't care about the whining, saying "I'm so busy! I work in the shop from dawn till dusk. I just don't have time spending hours on the phone and e-mail"....

Should have thought about that before starting a business.

A huge part of a business is the customer, and customer service. If you don't have the latter, sooner or later you won't have the former....

Well, at the risk of riling feathers, what's so special about the guy's bridges? I mean, why are they so much better than anything that, say, Gotoh makes? Are there design differences that make the part interesting (like a Trem King, for example, where the guy clearly spent a lot of time redesigning the wheel). Is this another overhyped voodoo product or what? Just curious.

They LOOK very nice...to my trained eye it appears to be high quality metal alloys used,and very cleanly machined...all stuff that I look for in a piece of hardware for a guitar.

If I were in the market for a vintage-esque bridge,I think I might go that rout....

Gotoh has not always impressed me with their metals...though the machining is very good indeed...

I received the bridge today and it really is a nice piece. Quite heavy and nicely machined, I expect it to work and sound great.

The guy definitely spooked me at first, but this turned out well.

I wouldn't steer anybody away from him, I'd just say be patient and try to get the guy on the phone before you place an order.