Drak - Brown Sugar

Here's No. 2 Maple body out of the gate, big brother to The Phoenix.

It's a little thicker. Phoenix total height is 1.5", this will be 1.75"

Telecaster bridge because well, I have about 8 Tele bridges from when I stopped building,

and money's a little tight, so I gotta use what I got.

A lot of the preliminary work will be very similar to The Phoenix, as they are very similar builds.

They will depart from one another in the finish / looks department.

GUITAR001.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a structural or sonic reason to leave the "line" of wood down the middle?

It may be just a trick of the grain, but the left side of the bridge block looks a little crooked. Of course, so long as it can all be screwed into solid wood, it won't make a difference with a cap. I'm just sayin....

EDIT: written w/o straight-edge pic - it's all good.

Edited by avengers63

I think you're taking for granted that the square is perfectly aligned, and it is not, it's there for distances, everything is perfectly aligned to the centerline :D.

I can have as many as 15 builds going on all at once, so I need pics like this in case the bridge doesn't get routed for 6 months down the road, I can't remember that many details for that long.

Point is, pics like that are great back-references if you need them in the future, and I do.

Once the top goes on, you'll never get to see it like this again.

Another topper pic, and you're up to date.

GUITAR022.jpg

Is there a structural or sonic reason to leave the "line" of wood down the middle?

There is more than one reason I do it the way I do.

I could give a long version of my views of sonic signal transference...or not :D ...

(actually, the intended REDUCTION of sonic signal high-speed transference per Frank Falbo in this case)

...but those answers are boorish and completely hypothetical, whether I believe them or not...

The most basic reason is that it helps support the top. :D.

There is more than one reason I do it the way I do.

I could give a long version of my views of sonic signal transference...or not :D ...

(actually, the intended REDUCTION of sonic signal high-speed transference per Frank Falbo in this case)

...but those answers are boorish and completely hypothetical, whether I believe them or not...

The most basic reason is that it helps support the top. :D.

Well said good Sir.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally had some time to get a few things done to Sugar Momma.

Nice Quilty Maple topper glued up

Routed to final shape

Neck pocket cut out

Roundovers done to the edges

Control cavity cut out

Recessed control cover edge routed

Tummy cutaway done

Pickups routed

Pot holes drilled

Input jack drilled

'All Drak Neck Joint' routed

Pickup connector hole drilled

The bonk tone is to-die-for, really really happy with the Maple body so far.

It's as light and airy sounding as any of my Teles are, if even more so, the chambering turned out great in the end.

I would have done binding on this one, but I took the chambering so close to the edges that there was no room left (safely) for a binding channel. Maybe next time. She's gonna sound great, I can already tell.

Pics coming soon. :D

I would have done binding on this one, but I took the chambering so close to the edges that there was no room left (safely) for a binding channel. Maybe next time.

Would "faux binding" - i.e. leaving a line of unstained maple around the edge (or scraping away a layer of stain around the edge) be an option to give the look you want without routing a binding channel?

Can't wait to see the pics.

Cheers,

Brian.

The Drak Attack! I'm usually not a fan of double cuts, but the aggressive swoop of those horns is excellent. Stoopid cool top. "Bonk tone" lol

Keep inspiring us!

looking nice!!

what tele bridge are you using? i am doing a simple build for myself with tele hardware and am still undecided between modern strat saddle with humbucker, vintage 3 saddle, or something like the joe barden vintage one with the 3 saddles offset. then there was the option of going for a TV jones tele bridge when i saw they had started doing them

Thanks guys!

Wez, honestly, I didn't post it yet, but I am going to use the Gotoh (black) Telecaster Humbucker bridge.

I like P-90's and (especially) mini-hums with Tele bridge pkps, but I really don't get on with HB's and Tele bridge pkps, it's too different for me, I'm not sure why I even routed it out like I did.

So, even tho I have the standard Tele bridge pkp route already done, it's going to change to a HB, just seems like a better guitar that way. I have enough SC guitars to last me quite awhile at this point, the D-cut seems more 'Gibsony' in nature, so I'm going to concentrate on HB's for the D-cuts I think, maybe some P-90's too.

I used Gold hardware on all the Roundup Teles I built, so I've decided to use all black hardware for the doublecuts I'm building, sort of like a theme thing.

Your newest build is looking Magnificent BTW. :D

that makes sense, i think twin hum will suit it much better - maybe with the neck pickup direct mounted, but thats just minor aesthetics

I like P-90's and (especially) mini-hums with Tele bridge pkps,

couldnt agree more, i think mini-hums seem to suit the tele neck position better than tele neck pickups ever do.

for mine i will be using an original 70's widerange humbucker in the neck and really building the rest of the guitar around that. although technically its a humbucker i reckon it might suit a single coil bridge better than a normal humbucker

Your newest build is looking Magnificent BTW.

thx, we are both going for the tubular quilt look at the moment... but i am going blue!!! apparently thats the best way to win GOTM :D :D