1st Build: Sg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, did a little more work today. I decided to try and make a template so I could fill in the bridge pickup cavity. I taped a piece of paper over the bridge pickup cavity and embossed it with a pencil like we used to do to coins in school. Anybody remember that?

DSCF0025.jpg

Next, I taped the sketched paper on the replacement wood and pressure transfered the pattern.

DSCF0026.jpg

You know, multiple curves are not easy to cut on a bandsaw. So when that fails, break out the dremel.

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

Rectangle pieces are much easier to cut. But the wood I am using is a little too thin so I added a smaller piece of basswood.

DSCF0032.jpg

That made the replacement wood stand a tad bit too high.

DSCF0031.jpg

Shaved a little off the top and now I have a much better fit.

DSCF0034.jpg

Now to find my clamps and wood glue.

Hmmm. Are you sure you measured right? BC rich has NEVER made a 24.75" scale warlock...

I know, thats what has caused me the most grief. But I swear, the nut to the 12th fret measures 12 3/8" and 12 3/8 doubled is 24 6/8. Reducing the fraction gives 24 3/4". Am I correct in doing this to determine the scale length? If I am wrong, please let me know as I am preparing to drill my bridge mounts after finalizing the proper placement including compensation.

I contacted BC Rich and they couldn't provide any info as well. But I have heard that their customer service is lacking. All the information I have says that this is a BC Rich Warlock neck in 24 3/4" scale with 24 frets. It must be rare because I can't find another one like it anywhere.

I think you're not measuring from the nut correctly or something. But by using the distance from the 12th fret to the 24th suggests that your neck is 25" scale.

Just use this info:

nut to 12th fret = 12 3/8

nut to 24th fret = @< 18 5/8

Then find the difference between the two points:

18 5/8 - 12 3/8 = 6 1/4

Since the distance from the 12th fret and the 24th is a quarter of the total scale length, multiply by 4:

6 1/4 * 4 = 25

There you go. Be sure to measure the distance from the 12th fret to the 24th to confirm this though.

I think you're not measuring from the nut correctly or something. But by using the distance from the 12th fret to the 24th suggests that your neck is 25" scale.

Just use this info:

Then find the difference between the two points:

18 5/8 - 12 3/8 = 6 1/4

Since the distance from the 12th fret and the 24th is a quarter of the total scale length, multiply by 4:

6 1/4 * 4 = 25

There you go. Be sure to measure the distance from the 12th fret to the 24th to confirm this though.

Distance between the 12th and 24th fret should be 6 1/4"?

But everything I have read and been told is double the length of the measurement from the nut to the 12th fret. I do have another Warlock Bronze Series that is 25.5 scale and when I line the 2 necks up at the nut for comparison, there is a difference in the fret spacing and length. The neck I am using for this project is shorter in length and the frets are closer together.

After my many questions about the scale of the neck and setup for 22 or 24 frets, here is what I was able to determine with the help of several people.

Scale IS 24.75

Well, the measuring looks wrong on the second part. From the nut to the 24th fret, your measurement of 18 5/8", matches neither of those scale lengths. For a 24.75" scale length neck, It would be about 18.562"( 18 5/8 is 18.615) from the nut to the 24th and for the 25.5" scale, It would be 19 1/8" exactly to the 24th fret.

After my many questions about the scale of the neck and setup for 22 or 24 frets, here is what I was able to determine with the help of several people.

Scale IS 24.75

Well, the measuring looks wrong on the second part. From the nut to the 24th fret, your measurement of 18 5/8", matches neither of those scale lengths. For a 24.75" scale length neck, It would be about 18.562"( 18 5/8 is 18.615) from the nut to the 24th and for the 25.5" scale, It would be 19 1/8" exactly to the 24th fret.

Sorry for the confusion. The measurement from the nut to the 24th fret is between 18 4/8 and 18 5/8. The closest ruler I could find only went to the 8ths. I'll find the proper one tomorrow. But, it is no way near 19 1/8".

I really dont know how you guys can do anything with imperial measurements? Why don't you use metric and do the measurements in mm!

I think that the majority of American's know that metric is easier and more globally standard. The problem with switching is that we've been using imperial for a few hundred years. It's all we know.

People are naturally resistant to change. The more significant the change, the more resistant we are to it. To have the entire nation change every form of distance or weight measurement just wouldn't happen - the change is too great.

Even though we know metric might be easier, there's nothing wrong with imperial. It does work, and we know how to work it. Since it works and we understand it, there's no need to change. That would increase the resistance to the change.

Ahhhhhhh this is what was said in the UK where the imperial measurements originated from

just what i was going to type!

The problem with switching is that we've been using imperial for a few hundred years. It's all we know.

yeah, we all had that problem - you cope with it... actually not me so much because i am young enough to have grown up with metric rulers, being a child of the 80's

now i am quite happy swapping between metric and imperial - but it has to be metric for fine measurements, its so much easier to do sums with!!

OK!!!! I stand corrected. I searched for a while today, and did happen to find some info on some 24.75" scale Warlocks. It appears some of the NJ series warlocks were that scale. So, I apologize for assuming you were wrong. :D

Can you link me to that info? I can't find it anywhere!!!

I found my metric rule today and here is what I measured to the best of my ability.

nut to 12th fret = 31.4cm

nut to 24th fret = 47.2cm

Thanks wood is good for the link. I was at a loss while my measurements said 24.75 but everything else said 25.5. I really 2nd guessed myself since I have never done a project like this before.