Breaking Strings

wip33.jpg

hardtail bridge

string through the back of the bridge

9-42 strings

I can't keep a high E on this thing. I've broken 2 within 20 minutes of playing per string. One was Ernie Ball, the other Dean Markley. I've NEVER had this problem with any guitar/bridge in my life. The both broke around the ball end. Any clues or suggestions I can try?

wip33.jpg

hardtail bridge

string through the back of the bridge

9-42 strings

I can't keep a high E on this thing. I've broken 2 within 20 minutes of playing per string. One was Ernie Ball, the other Dean Markley. I've NEVER had this problem with any guitar/bridge in my life. The both broke around the ball end. Any clues or suggestions I can try?

Maybe a burr on the bridge? I had the same problem with A strings on my guitars. I ended up filing the saddle and rounding it over a little bit. I haven't broken another one since.

for SRV's beloved guitar: #1, he used bass frets, 13 gauge strings, a lefty trem, stock pickups/wiring, and beat the living **** out of it during his cover of "3rd stone from the sun". It also had a nitro finish and SRV's initials nailed into it in several places, several times.

But aside from that, John, Dean Markley's Blue Steel are the only bass strings i've ever broken. I heard their guitar strings were pretty sturdy though. I heard someone on the forum say that they would add solder to the twisted area near the ball of the string to help strengthen that spot. Checking for burrs like everyone else said would be my first option though.