Oak Guitar

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT'S DONE. A friend of mine has just done the electronics, and it sounds like wow. It does have indeed an incredible tone and just the right amount of sustain. I will try to record something after i succeed in the aquisition of the amp. He has 2 guitars and some tube amps (the friend) and after he did the electronics we compared the guitar with his. And it certainly stands out, unfortunately the effect processor was a lousy zoom :D. The tone is full and sort of bright on the Dirty Fingers, not muddy at all as many say it is, and the neck pick-up is very good for rhythm, while the bridge pick-up, the seymour duncan is very very clear and "sharp" if i may say so, which is strange, since i've never seen this "effect" in a guitar before, i mean using the bridge pickup for lead :D. See you soon, and thank you for the tips n' tricks ! \m/

Hello friends

This is the uglyest guitar i ever seen. Its builded wrong to the first steps.The European oak is not the same whit red or white american oak and is not good for building guitars. Second it is builded like to the foot. And its ugly.The tunomatic is in wrong pozition.And the hand work its krapy. The neck hell its wrong make it and the neck is on air.

So the guitar is an mess. This is not an guitar this is an pcs of wood for make house work around .

Its look like crapy.

Hello friends

This is the uglyest guitar i ever seen. Its builded wrong to the first steps.The European oak is not the same whit red or white american oak and is not good for building guitars. Second it is builded like to the foot. And its ugly.The tunomatic is in wrong pozition.And the hand work its krapy. The neck hell its wrong make it and the neck is on air.

So the guitar is an mess. This is not an guitar this is an pcs of wood for make house work around .

Its look like crapy.

If you took the time to read this post. one ,you will realize ,he built it with a file and a hand drill.He also had to find parts on the black market, and it is his first guitar.If he is happy ,that is all that matters.Some of the first guitars of blues players ,were not much better.It is not what it looks like, but what you can make it do ,that counts.It is hand made ,that is for sure.I am getting the feeling you did not like it,and that is ok.I just think he got the job done,best way he could,and it is a cool design.

Hello Guitarmaker

I'm not sure if the translation is changing your meaning or not but it certainly looks like you should do a quick study on 'manners' and then put them into use.

The original poster is 19 years old, building his first guitar and said in his very first post that he has no or liminted woodworking skills/experience/tools. All criticisms on his thread regarding construction have been constructive and have helped to rectify any mistakes the builder had made, to include the incorrect placement of the bridge.

Guitar design is always subjective - I'm sure there are other people, like you, who think that this guitar is ugly. I'm sure there are others, like myself, who actually like the shape and applaud anyone who builds a guitar other than an LPStratOTelePRSCaster. I would quite happily be seen in public with this machine, it would probably be the guitar that was ashamed of me!

The single most important thing is that the builder is happy with what he/she has done and judging by the post directly above yours, it looks like we have a winner.

I would hate to see anyone discouraged from posting their builds (that really is the reason most of us use this forum, to see what others who share our passion are doing) due to a negative post like yours and, in my personal opinion, think it's a bit cheeky for you to judge this guitar so harshly when you have not posted a build of your own and, from your other posts, do not seem to be able to even come up with your own templates.

Again, I hope that the translation from Romanian made your comments sound worse than they were meant to.

Cheers

Buter

PS - How many rooms are in that palace in Bucharest? That thing is massive!

Hello friends

Its look like crapy.

What's wrong with you?

Hey guys,

Everyone is allowed to have an oppinion. I am happy with the guitar i built, not necessary from a "quality" point of view, but from an "experience" one. This might as well be a one-time project, allthough i really am eager to start another, again, just for miself.

Mister Guitarmaker, i am sorry to hear you do not like it, but it is your decision not too. As you are the only "official" guitar luthier from Romania (and i am ashamed to say it's name having into consideration that these last few posts have turned this thread into a cirkus, which i would not have wanted to be associated with our country). I am sure you could have expressed your negative feelings in private if you didn't have anything really important and productive to say.

Guitarmaker is actually the builder/brander of my guitar neck that i got from my friend, i do not wish to make him negative publicity by saying his name/brand, but just so you understand the whole point. Mr. G, i do not wish to compete with you in building/selling guitars, because as i have said, this might have been a one-time project. Very nice way to "eliminate the so called competition". Very nice of you!

Anyway, i am sorry everybody which by the way was very helpful, had to be "spectators" to this "mess"

Thank you all again, and thank you guys that stood up for me. \m/ Respect.

Cheers!

R.

lateredit:

If the guitar sings, and it does, that does make European Oak a guitar wood. :D Just as MDF is.

Edited by sthell

I've been following this build without really commenting since that shape does not really suit my tastes. I like radical shapes, but this one just doesn't quite hit home for me.

But I am extremely happy to see how much you have learned from just this one build. And even though it is not the highest quality work ever, you did extremely well with the limited tools that you have, and that alone is something to be proud of. It is very easy to build a guitar when your buddy has a CNC router or you have access to very expensive tools. What you did takes time, patience, and guts. It was apparent at the beginning that you did not know much about the main rules of design such as bridge placement, but you learned and corrected. And I think you did a pretty nice job with the corrections. The old bridge hole now looks like a knot. You may not win Guitar of the Month, but I bet you are just as proud as if you would have won it.

And it is always great to see another one bitten by the bug.

English oak is not the same as American oaks, but neither are the sycamores. Who cares, if it makes a good guitar, use it. There are draw backs and plusses to all woods. You don't find out what works until you try. Pretty much any wood can be a guitar wood. People are just hung up on what Fender, Gibson, and PRS use.

Hi guys

Let finish this discusion. This is my opinion about this guitar. Let me guys if you consider that this guitar is an very good guitar and if someone from you want to have this guitar or pay for it .This guitar have a lot of bad construction. This is my opinion.

Nothing more .I tell you my opinion from this point.

All ather discusions about me is not about this guitar.

You are not my competition .Ha ,ha ,ha whit this guitar ????????

End for no more discusions i will disable this ID

.Ha ,ha ,ha whit this guitar ????????

Was that an attempt at a joke. I actually love the design of this guitar and sthell has done well to make it and you just have to try and get the last word.

I understand that you feel that it is badly constructed compared to a professional luthier but that does not mean you have to belittle a mans effort and hard work. If you wrote those things about projects i have built i would be severely offended.

Edited by feral_smurf

There's some haters on this one. I think it came out fine for a first try. As long as it plays then whatever. There's always some improvements to be had, but that should discourage no one. I want to hear this guitar just because it's oak and i have not heard an oak guitar before.

@ihocky2: Thank you!

@Dean: Jah, you're right this time. I was actually thinking of building a pine guitar, but it seems so brittle, i would actually prefer hard wood over soft wood. As long as you get it, it shouldn't be hard :D Since 2007, when Romania is an EU member, more gates and opportunities have opened, so we're not at the end of the world anymore, just very close :D

@feral smurf: Thank you man \m/

@Sand Paper: If i just buy a sound board for my PC, can i record? Or do i need an amplifier?

Cheers guys!

@guitarmaker: Whatever. Your atitude has proven the fact that you have a lot of hate in you, you could have corrected your initial post just by taking 5 minutes explaining the bad parts of the guitar, not by insulting and acting like a child. So, if you have anything to criticise, please do, as long as it's constructive, if not, please stay away from my thread.

Hi guys

Let finish this discusion. This is my opinion about this guitar. Let me guys if you consider that this guitar is an very good guitar and if someone from you want to have this guitar or pay for it .This guitar have a lot of bad construction. This is my opinion.

Nothing more .I tell you my opinion from this point.

All ather discusions about me is not about this guitar.

You are not my competition .Ha ,ha ,ha whit this guitar ????????

What???? lol!!!!

Anyways good job on the guitar

Hey again guys! I've just bought a Vox ad30vt and it sounded great, until it died ! :D

The sympthoms are as follow:

1) After a few minutes of use 5/10/15 (but not longer) it slowly dies, over a few secondes ~10, in which the sound just diminishes to 0. If i plug in my headset, i can hear the sound and effects without any problem, if i plug them out i can't hear anything from the speaker.

2) If i let it "cool down" for a few minutes, it works again, but it dies again after a few minutes!

This is not right, i initially thought it might be the speaker, but now i think it's either the power level attenuator at the back (0.1-30 watts) or a transformer somewhere, after the power stage? I don't think the speaker has any problems. I'll take it back to the store on Monday i guess. This is unfortunate :-<, i just wanted to play !

Could you please help me out? I've looked it up on the web, but couldn't find any similar problems. I hope it's not my fault, the volume controls have never been higher that 9, and the power attenuator has been at an max ~20 watts, i've always started the amp with the master volume pot at 0. Is this a warranty issue? :D

Thank you

Hello friends

Its look like crapy.

This is the most ignorant post I have ever read.

• 4 weeks later...

I promised to come back for some better photos. Sorry for digging up the thread. Thank you all again for your suppor.

ps1: I finally managed to buy an amp, i've chosen a Peavey Vk 112, because somebody was selling it :D and vox ad30vt was really crappy

ps2: I need/feel the need to build another one therefore i will invest this summer in some real wood cutting tools. You haven't seen the last of me! Happy to be here!

g01.jpg

g03.jpg

g05.jpg

Nice, the finish turned out really nice on that.

I know you didn't ask advice on this, but the first power tool you NEED to invest in is a router, preferably something with a half inch collet (many of those can switch between half and quarter inch and come with both). Also a plunge router is very handy, though you can get away with a fixed base. To go with that you need a few bits obviously. Good quality bits do make a big difference.

Hello friends

Its look like crapy.

Wow.... I can't believe I saw this on the PG forum. Usually the people that post here are so helpful and supportive. Don't let this get you down sthell. Even though some mistakes were made on your build you took the constructive advice of the people on this forum and did what you could with the tools you had. I think that this guitar shows a great amount of determination on your part and a deep love of the instrument itself. I congratulate you on a job well done and hope that you continue to build instruments.