Lp Style Build In Houston

Hey gang....my name is James - from Houston. My buddy Scott is building my first custom, and I'm pretty excited. First...material specs.

Neck - Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba)

Fretboard - Ebony

Tuners - Gotoh midsize Gold 510's

Frets - Gold

Inlay - Gold thumb markers with silver personal signature across frets 10 thru 13

Body - African Mahogany

Carved Top - Myrtle

Binding - Ebony

Pickps - Still have time to decide, but will be metal covers.

Bridge - Fishman Piezo loaded tune-o-matic w/powerbridge system

Tailpiece - string through body

Finish - Clearcoat

Here's a mockup I did in Photoshop. The body is from the actual piec of the Myrtle we're using for the project. I can't wait to see it done and clear coated.

This is just a mockup to show color scheme...the headstock will differ, as will the body style to a degree. This will be a LP style....not a true copy.

hook-guitar.jpg

Images of the actual build to follow.

Edited by Skullsession

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't mix gold and silver hardware. It just looks awkward, like it should be in a jewelry case at Tiffany's or something.

That's the actual piece of myrtle? Very nice! Curious as to how it's going to sound, seeing as it's a softwood. It looks like a burl - will you have any inclusions to fill?

Right...the top sort of led me to thinking about gold and chrome hardware down there. My first thought WAS to have gold pickup covers in both spots. Those are actually very good points about the knobs too. I could see dark knobs on there. It also might help pull some of the dark weight back to the ass end. I'll take a look at both pickups in gold....see if I like it after all.

And yes...the bridge is going to be a piezo tune-o-matic. The last knob is piezo volume, and the switch below it is for controlling the blend between piezo/magnetic.

Edited by Skullsession

A few questions...

Do you have a real pic of the Myrtle you can post?

I'd like to see a pic of the real piece compared to your mockup pic, it looks great so far, I dig it.

Can you explain the knob selections? Man, it just seems -so- busy.

My builds are pretty knob-heavy as a rule too, but there is space between them and the overall layout works well.

It looks like yours would be very hard to maneuver around, like you'd always be bumping one knob trying to adjust another.

This is a part of building you want to be very careful about.

I like African Mahogany, I have some quartersawn pieces that ring like a bell, fantastic tap tone.

If it comes out like the mocker, she's gonna be a beaut!

Taking a stab....

2V

2T

pickup 3-way

piezo volume

piezo 3-way

Not complicated, but I agree, knob-heavy. It might be worth it to pick up concentric pots for the pickups, or move the LP 3-way to its usual position. Or both?

Loving the mockup 2.0!!

That control cavity is going to have to take up half the guitar to fit all that in. You might simplify by having a master tone(or concentric), master volume(or concentric), and set the gain for the piezo by trim pot instead of with a volume knob.

That'd give you 2 knobs and 2 switches, so you wouldn't even need anything larger than a normal LP cavity except for the piezo preamp.

A few questions...

Do you have a real pic of the Myrtle you can post?

Sure...here's the photo of the boards. Of course, later as you see the top during carving you'll notice that it looks pretty gray. In this pic, the boards have been lightly wiped with mineral spirits to simulate the clear coated look. It really IS that pretty...

1131.jpg

Taking a stab....

2V

2T

pickup 3-way

piezo volume

piezo 3-way

Not complicated, but I agree, knob-heavy. It might be worth it to pick up concentric pots for the pickups, or move the LP 3-way to its usual position. Or both?

Loving the mockup 2.0!!

Right....you've got it exactly.

It's only one extra knob and one extra switch from the normal LP config...I don't really consider that knob heavy. But I do appreciate the ideas...and I'll discuss the concentric options with the guy who's putting this thing together. Though I don't mind 5 knobs and two switches on a guitar, I also don't mind reducing the real estate needed to obtain the same level of control.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

On to the neck work....

BTW: Is it customary here to just post links, or is it good to go ahead with droping the photos in the posts?

After the headstock has been roughly formed with a bandsaw:

3-28-600-2.jpg

3-29-348.jpg

Shaping has begun on the neck:

3-29-621-1.jpg

3-29-621-2.jpg

S5000353.jpg

These show the headstock a little closer to the final size. He still has to lay on the ebony headstock plate....sometime.

S5000366.jpg

S5000364.jpg

S5000365.jpg

Edited by Skullsession

Here's a photo of the African Mahogany we'll be using for this guitar.

body.jpg

It's actually left overs from when he buit another guitar. Here's what the back of that one looked like - gives you an idea what this new one will look like on the back.

DSC00315.jpg

Oh...and the headstock from a previous build. Same shape, but mine will have the ebony plate.

DSC00317.jpg

I could've sworn chisels were extinct by now. Epic job for whoever carved that! Although, putting such a huge amount of mass on an LP headstock, that to me sounds like it's begging to do a nosedive.

Pic rules are 4-per post in this section; The rest should go into links.

Edited by Xanthus

More steps taken this weekend. The builder (Scott) was out of town late last week, and actually came out to see my band this weekend...so I was surprised to hear he had moved forward at all. PLUS, I've been draggin' my heels on ordering the fretwire until I made some other decisions. Good news is that I ordered the piezo bridge and preamp late last week, and the fretwire this morning.

BTW...I'm still urging Scott to sign up here to answer a couple of questions from earlier. He knows better than I what/how he's doing this stuff!

mahogany-being-glued.jpg

And another view of the mahogany after glued:

mahogany-after-glue.jpg

Here's a shot of the fretboard. Still not to correct thickness or width, and not stained. He's just making mock cuts and markings for me so that I can figure out the exact size of the HOOK signature we're putting on there.

fretboard-cutting-2.jpg

You know man, I see sooooooooo many 'mockups' thrown up around here and the majority never get built,

much less even started, that's why I asked to see the real wood.

I've worked with Myrtle burls before, and that is certainly and definitely Myrtle Burl.

Now I completely agree, your top is absolutely stunning and I love it to death!

That is going to be one of the nicest guitars I've seen this year (IMO),

I look forward to see it plugged in and playin'.

Please post finished pics when she's done! :D :D B)