Stratele

i am doing a couple of things for myself - just quick projects to use up parts i have been meaning to do something with for a while

i was going to make this a squier 51 clone but ended up going more stratele hybrid - i know its not an original idea but i have always liked the mix

since its a quick project i picked up an unfinished allparts neck for it - dug out a slightly knotty korina/idigbo body blank this lunchtime and a hour or two later had this done

stratele.jpg

obviously i need to work on the scratchplate a bit but i am really liking it so far

It going to have schaller locking tuners, a joe bardon tele bridge, Bare knuckle pickup Blackguard flat 50 and an original 70's wide range humbucker

i am thiking a sage to grassy green with maybe a hint of pearlesence or even green to copper flip - still undecided

this was the plan when it was going to be more squier 51

Squier51.jpg

Yeah, it looks like the Destrot All Guitars "Telstar"... Which I LOVE!

yeah, it may have been looking at those a few months ago that influenced me!

i am not doing the tele radius on the bottom half going into strat radius thing on the top (as nice a feature as it is) or the relicing that they do

yeah i know. hens teeth and all that.

someone happened to be selling one and was asking for £100. seemed very reasonable to me so i got it. afterwards i checked on the current value of an original wide range in this condition and its about $300-400 so i was happy. i just wanted one to see what it was like as the construction interests me and these things are very well made.

the re-issues are pants - thats why these are worth so much. they only made them for a few years in the 70's but generally they were made well. the reissues are normal humbuckers packed out with wax and filler to make them fit the same space. they sound pretty much like a crappy humbucker.

i am kinda anxious to see what this original sounds like, obviously they varied. but even if it doesnt suit me i know i wont loose money on it

I can't imagine you not liking the sound of an original Wide Range. I got one myself for an astonishingly low price ($60) thanks to an Ebay seller who didn't know what he had and a tip off from a Swede with incredible eyes. I only had it hastily mounted in a 60's Jagaur body with a funky conversion neck I made for a very short period of time before taking it out to finish the Jag and it's sound was nothing short of magical.

IMG_8332.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

got this put togther temporarily as i really wanted to know what the wide range was like.

stratelemockup.jpg

its a great sound. very full but not lacking clarity. the bridge pickup is like the perfect esquire sound and really adds some extra bite to proceedings. Between them both its a very versatile guitar