Drop Tops...

Perry, at OregonWW try looking through the back & side sets for acoustics, the back sets are generally quartersawn and more along the lines of what you're looking for. They will be thinner than the standard 1/4" drop top, but will be bookmatched and ready to joint.

You could make a 4-piece top from the sides - if matched correctly along the right grain lines, you'd have a hard time telling.

West Penn Hardwoods has a fair bit of wide curly purpleheart - you won't find it on the website - get them on the phone and they can hook you up.

Looking for a supplier of:

Purpleheart drop tops.

Macassar Ebony drop tops.

You know... 1/4" thick... bookmatched...

or

1/2" unbookmatched (i can do that myself)

Anyone??

Perry,

I have a friend that has a 3/4" x 10" or 11" x 4 to 5 ft Curly Purple heart board that is really nice. Not sure if he'll part with it, but I'll ask. It would be wonderful as a drop top I'll see if he'll cut you some off.

MK

update: I just talked with Him and I can get some for you. I'll get a pic tommorrow if you want. also let me know what length? He's going to give it to me at his costs. Not sure what that is until tommorrow

MK

Edited by MiKro

If you're are interested in B&W Ebony let me know - I am going to my supplier tomorrow for a chat and a browse of what he's got in the B&W Ebony top size for myself.

If you your customer is after something particularly special how about an Amboyna or Afzelia burl top or a heavily figured Afzelia. All available and very top grade. :D

Thanks guys, I know when I can talk someone into or out of certain colours, inlays, tops, woods, etc etc. Mac Eb and Purpleheart were both recommended by me, to my clients, and Im certainly not going to ring them and try and explain why I want them to modify the specs. Thanks for trying though :D

HOWEVER, Im always looking for new tops to add to the existing stock I have. Email pics.

Thanks guys, I know when I can talk someone into or out of certain colours, inlays, tops, woods, etc etc. Mac Eb and Purpleheart were both recommended by me, to my clients, and Im certainly not going to ring them and try and explain why I want them to modify the specs. Thanks for trying though :D

HOWEVER, Im always looking for new tops to add to the existing stock I have. Email pics.

hmm well I think I should really say if you have a certain requirement in a SE Asia timber such as B&W Ebony, Amboyna or Afzelia burls, figured afzelia, numerous rosewoods etc. let me know. Since my supplier here supplies most of the supplier in the US with these timbers. I obviously have the advantage as I can look around in the stock room and cherry pick - also these are tree sized logs not just tops!

:D

Up to the top . . Perry have you found a supplier for Macassar? I've realised during a trip to one my of timber merchants it is available here! I just knew the local name and didn't realise it was Macassar - I actually thought it was a rosewood . . . :D

Let me know if you're still looking.

:D

I might be interested - is it kiln dried? Air dried? Not dried?

Photos?

How big do you want?! :D

Basically all this age of wood is air dried since it'll of been either laid on the forest floor for several years or been cut a long time ago - as has all the B&W Ebony. I know of a timber shop I use who has a block measuring 60cm x 50cm x 12cm. Of that particular block about 40cm wide of it for tops is useable.

If I get chance tomorrow I'll visit the shop and get pictures - otherwise I can basically request it in whatever size I want.

Mikro for the win with some Purpleheart (looks STUNNING) and Allied Lutherie for the Macassar Ebony.

Always looking for more though....

You are welcome Perry, and It's on It's way there . :D here's a preview of the PH

It's rough, :D

pb1.jpg

Edited by MiKro

Nice looking piece of Purpleheart that!

Sorry didn't get time to visit the shop today - I had to attend a friends wedding and consume lots of beer (oh the stress!) :D

I'll get over there in the coming week to provide pictures . . . in the meantime here's the kind of quality I can get in Amboyna burl from my new build thread (if you ain't seen it already!) :D

This is a single piece top measuring approx 60cm long x 45cm wide x 2cm thick:

IMG_0906.JPG