New-ish Singlecut Design.

Everybody here knows that my builds so far have been strongly influenced by PRS designs. But when it comes to singlecuts, I have been around Les Pauls for so long that I never liked the outline of the PRS'. To me it looked simply wrong. That is why when I built a SC for my son I used the LP outline with a carving more like Cassandra's.

But yesterday I was playing with Corel Draw and the design I'm already using for the current builds. It is indeed based on the ubiquitous Santana/LPDC outline but with offset body/waists. I think it flows better with the offset headstock and it is at least a bit different to uncle Paul's Santana. In real life it even balances better. This is it:

Blackdog_DC24_90HB_HT.jpg

And then I thought about making a singlecut version of it, and I came up with this:

22frets

Blackdog_SC22_2HB_HT.jpg

24frets

Blackdog_SC24_90HB_HT.jpg

What do you guys think of it ?? It's the first non-LP singlecut design I actually like...

Many thanks for the feedback !!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=580155

Looks like this one alot...I do like it though...but I prefer the double cut

Well if you try to make an LP well-balanced and more modern looking you kind of have to end up with that shape, haha.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that it is impossible to come up with something truly original (that's also playable and of decent taste, of course).

Trying to translate the carving I used for my second built to a Les Paul outline I built this for my son:

IMG_0438.jpg

only to find that Nik Huber's Orca uses essentially the same carve on the same outline. Even down to the headstock shape !!

Orca-liegend_501.jpg

What can I say, there's nothing new under the sun... :D

BTW: No, it's not the same guitar :D I just wonder if I could have gotten any closer if I had been trying to copy it !!!