Hello , They Call Me Mike.

For a moment I was about to ban and delete! Then I read the post... The title and user name told me SPAM!!!

Please don't B&D me !! :D:DB)B)

The name "Our Souls , inc." is the name of my solo music project. I have a myspace page but I won't advertise here. I'm building a Teak git-fiddle , a Padouk gitfiddle and a teak/birdseye gitfiddle. I have made a few bodies in the past and "customized" a few dozen. I have a strong knowledge of guitar electronics , soldering , amplifier/speaker configuration and recording/studio stuff too. I'm looking to share my brain and pick others. I'm definitely a real person , and I'll try to follow all the rules.

Hoping you'll spare me,

Mike the {poolguyfromhell] ;)

( my username on the dean guitars forum )

Hi Mike

I've used teak for laminates in a neck and althou the end result was OK, I don't really know what it (the teak) did for the over all sound of that bass. Teak is really heavy and it is also quite agressive on cutting tools.

I've read these kind of comments about teak a few times and to be honest I find them kind of confusing!

Living where teak is a native tree and can be bought for a fraction of the price compared to the rest of the world I see it around everywhere but the facts about teak is it's only a medium to heavy density timber, weighing in around 620 - 750kg/cu.m much the same as the dense Maples. Also it's Janka rating is just over 1000 which softer than any oak, compared to Rosewood or Ebony it's positively a softwood!

The main thing with Teak is it has a very high oil content which is why it's so durable to water exposure and which if you want a good joint with it you need to clean off the oil with acetone and use an epoxy rather than a wood glue to get a good joint.

It's favoured with the hand carvers over here due to is being good for handworking - but it seems to have some strange reputation for being super heavy and hard something I cannot fathom out!

:D

Possibly because the market for teak is for furniture so the importers ship in the heavy/harder end of the spectrum?

Tectona grandis is Tectona grandis . . . there is no difference between the trees in any SE Asia country - as I said I can't fathom it out! :D

Thats no what I meant I meant perhaps the importers import the higher quality harder heavier timber as it meets the requirments of the market.

Wow ! Now that's what I'm talking about !!

Thanks so much for all the replies. ( especially the epoxy Vs. waterbased glue thing !! )

Here's what I've discovered so far................

Teak is definitely oily. It's not all THAT heavy , but it does weigh . I saw sparks coming off of the wood as I belt sanded it w/120 grit. How sandpaper can make something spark is beyond me. ? / ? but I did see a dozen sparks along the way so ........

It's hard on cutting tools ( it'll turn baldes blue real quick !! ) . It has nice grain when sanded. And a strange odor compared to most sawdust.......

Oh , I also discovered the best webforum/classroom going !! :DB) Right here. :DB)

and Thanks !!

looking forward to completing these with y'alls help ,

Mike the PGFH ;)

The sparks would be due to the minerals in the wood, same with tool wear. I don't think it is actually the sand being drawn into the wood, but I might be wrong. But I know it does get gritty mineral deposits that are very hard on tools. It's not so much the wood itself causing the problems.

Bob at legra guitars has made a teak/maple guitar, he makes nice stuff

http://www.legraguitars.co.uk/ab602.htm

Hey man , Thanks for the link !! I have found almost no reference to the tone of a teak guitar until now. Again , Thank you !

I'm really excited to get this one finished. It's a cross between a Les Paul and a Telecaster. It's my design , but that's what it reminds me of. I'll post some pics soon -

PGFH

Well i have recently started this build Link with burmese teak for the top. I have listed a heap of properties of the timber if your interested. Im really excited about this build but unfortunately im saving to go on a trip around the world with my wife at the end of the year so funds have completely dried up. I really need a pearl cutting saw for the inlays and an ebony fingerboard but just cant spare the cash at the moment. I have made a little progress though, will try to post some pics soon.