1st Project: Guitar Overhaul

Well, since the RR4 is not exactly a collectable model you have the freedom to do as you please. You can either sand away a little from the straight sections of the wings and from the inside curve to remove enough material. Or you can cut a secondary angle on the tips. I don't really have any illustrations, but I personally I would go with the secondary angle.

Any chances of a quick sketch?

wings.jpg

The top is basically a standard wing tip, the lower is with a secondary angle. It allows you to remove the broken edge, keep the original angles and curves, but still fixes the break. Plus it gives it a little bit of a custom look. I would draw the cuts onto the body, maybe use some paper trimmed to the final shape to see how it will look and decide if that works for you.

I'm did a very smilar thing to ihocky's idea an RR body. The tip was chipped so I basically reflected the headstock point onto the end of the long horn. I just held a straightedge up to it, found the angle I liked, marked it, cut and sanded and then just re-bevel the top and back edge

@ihocky2: thanks for the sketch. I've been looking at it some more and the front of the body still gives the illusion that the wing tip is pretty much intact, at least from a distance. So I think I'll be going with tidying up the area on the side and even it out, to keep that illusion going.

I have never chipped a guitar in almost 20 years of playing....and I have a king v,a kxk v,a home built beast,I had a mustaine king v,etc...

Key word...straplocks...don't be so clutzy

Only damage I have ever done to a guitar is a stage light falling on one. It just seems that the used King V's and similar style instruments I see for sale have the same type of damage or wear to them. I suppose most of that can be attributed to the target market of that style of instrument.