Food Coloring Maple?

hey guys and gals i was reading about using food coloring as a dye for figured maple. and i was wondering. Has anyone tried this? and if you got great results. do you have pics??

i was reading that Paste Food Coloring works good and there are tons of colors to choose from.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Edited by Pestvic

Research all finishing techniques before you decide on using non UV resistant food colouring, which is designed for eating, and temporarily colouring food, rather than the cheaper option of wood and lacquer specific dyes which are designed for woodworker projects and have an extremely long lifespan.

Here are some fun links:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...mp;#entry234686

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...amp;#entry97367

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...amp;#entry96352

Research all finishing techniques before you decide on using non UV resistant food colouring, which is designed for eating, and temporarily colouring food, rather than the cheaper option of wood and lacquer specific dyes which are designed for woodworker projects and have an extremely long lifespan.

Here are some fun links:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...mp;#entry234686

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...amp;#entry97367

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...amp;#entry96352

k i thought so... haha already have a bottle of water soluble stewart mac stain on its way :D

God... i redescovered his website...

"""Both guitars will become collestor's items. Not only because of the low number, but because I will not be using imbuia again. It is on the endandered species list. I now use other woods."""

If i recall, the running joke was that they would not become collestor's items, but molestered items :D

haha. well heres a question for you guys then. while i wait for stewart mac. i might order more. but is there any dyes you guys use that you can buy around town? or localy? name brands? or and big named stores like walmart or something? can you guys post links of what you use or what they are called?

My favorite quote was "Kiss Army Kaptian"..

And I loved the "top" he put on that "v" of his...only covered about 1/2 of the guitar body...

hahaha im literally sitting here rocking on my chair, pissing myself laughing!

That V was KILLER. God damn I need to see that one again.

God... i redescovered his website...

"""Both guitars will become collestor's items. Not only because of the low number, but because I will not be using imbuia again. It is on the endandered species list. I now use other woods."""

greeniebackfloor.jpg

what exactly is this site and whats it about? who is linch? haha

he was a guy that tried to build guitars in the most difficult way, using woods that were substandard, and techniques that werent proven. Everything he did, he stuffed up. He tried to save money, even though he didnt need to (food dyes costed him more than wood dyes). He had weird and wonderful ideas like wrapping a guitar in saran wrap, rather than use clamps to glue the top down. Even when everything went pear shaped, he'd still try and SELL his guitars to kids. He managed to somehow get in touch with the Donna's, and offered them free guitars. He actually started these, but I dont know if he finished them. He ripped off at least one guy, by taking money for a neck that was never built.

He went as far as posting naked photos of his wife on here, which led to his divorce. He was quite simply, a clown.

he couldnt afford to buy nice maple tops big enough for guitars, so he'd get pieces only big enough for a pickguard, and inlay that (as a square shape) into the front of the guitar.

He invented the "through neck with set on sides" which was a through neck centre laminate, with stuck on sides, to make the neck. These through neck laminates wouldnt even line up with the bridge, so the strings would quite often hang over the edge of the fretboard.

The biggest complement I could give him, would be to say he was a character. I actually kinda want to believe he was really an actor honing his skills in here by pretending to be a hack butcher guitar maker.

haha. well heres a question for you guys then. while i wait for stewart mac. i might order more. but is there any dyes you guys use that you can buy around town? or localy? name brands? or and big named stores like walmart or something? can you guys post links of what you use or what they are called?

Not to try and drag this trip down memory lane back on track, but...

If you have a Rockler or Woodcraft near by they sell wood dyes. They sell them as TransTint I believe. Same stuff StewMac sells, just with a different label. You can also find analine dyes at places that sell leather working stuff.

Oh man - those were the days.

Perry - appears there's a Lance Litchfield in Brisbane who makes some very nice looking classical and flamenco guitars.

But on Googlefight, Jeff gets over 3X as many hits as Lance - poor fellow probably has no idea what he's up against. :D

Hell, he was made a Moderator of this forum, and started his own forum afterwards.

The kid had balls.

Yeah, but who hasnt been made a moderator...

I mean, I was.

And then there was the guy from the UK, who got banned from the forum, so he HACKED IN and started changing colours and posting as Brian. Remember? What was his punishment?? MAKE HIM A MODERATOR.

Not to forget our current Mod From Hell, Kevan, who has not even logged in to this forum for MORE THAN TWO YEARS

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showuser=21

Ahh, the fun we've had on here...

Not to try and drag this trip down memory lane back on track, but...

If you have a Rockler or Woodcraft near by they sell wood dyes. They sell them as TransTint I believe. Same stuff StewMac sells, just with a different label. You can also find analine dyes at places that sell leather working stuff.

haha

Thanks a lot :D im pretty sure we have woodcraft here so thanks a lot :D