Camphor Burl/mahogany Violin-esque Guitar

Cheers Wez! I've got the headstock to consider first, because i've been planning on slotting it "classical style" and i'm wondering whether the bound edges will clash with the unbound slots....

Actually, whilst I was editing this post I decided to see if this would work and I don't think it will as I will have to sacrifice the straight string pull over the roller nut. Ah well, perhaps some other time....simple three over three it is then! Pshaw.

It won't work. Trust me on this one :-\

It's a case of the design being led by the hardware, not the other way around. I considered a stepped outside edge also, but again it would dictate the end design from the wrong direction. I'm going to use some nice traditional open tuners on a three over three instead.

Dear diary. Today was bloody hot. Debated with myself over the merits of scarfing headstocks over or under. Decided that over was best in this case. Hated seeing my 10mm camphor burl thin down to 4mm for the headcap. What a waste. My binding turned out great. Still haven't figured out a perfect method of doing the mitres though. All winged using a combination of scraping, paring and filing. Still, worked a charm. Going over the geometry of the nut, still. The balance of string angles over the zero fret > roller nut > tuner post is crucial. Not enough angle over the nut may cause string slippage from the rollers. Need more Titbond. In the meantime, am going to work nut the neck angle required, and the pocket geometry. Really liking the way the PRS-ish headstock looks with the open backed tuners and press-fit bushings. Very classy. Tomorrow is truss rod channel day, perhaps.

So here's how the bound headstock looks. I installed the bushings because I was excited.

hourglass6.jpg

The back of the headstock still requires thicknessing, hence why it's unshaped in the bottom 2-3mm. The binding matches up with the neck binding, so we're good to go! Once my new bottle of Titebond arrives, i'm going to rout the trussrod trench and glue up the fingerboard. The rest of the neck will then be cut to profile using the fingerboard as a template for the router bit, then I can start radiusing the fingerboard....

Edited by Prostheta

• 2 years later...

Hi Chris - it was just one of the many things i was unable to bring in the move here. Our van was completely full so a set of rosewood chairs and a few guitars were hastily given away or sold.

This was complete other than me forgetting to drill a wiring hole from the front pickup to the rear. It just needed finish sanding and clearing.

The rollers acted as a guide nut for the zero fret rather than as just a nut. It worked perfectly well. Having to shim up locking nuts and roller nuts is a big pain and their biggest flaw I think. I would certainly build this style again. A really attractive shape but a complete pain to bind.