Camphor Burl/mahogany Violin-esque Guitar

As is traditional with me, another "slow" project. This won't be completed in a hurry, so i'll keep this thread alive with updates as they happen although it may be periodic.

Design is simple. 24-fret 25.5" scale mahogany body with black/white binding and a carved camphor burl top. Bridge will be a TOM with string-through body ferrules rather than a stop tail. Two buckers. Bridge will be recessed to reduce the neck angle and string height. Headstock will be a 3 over 3 shape, which I haven't designed yet! It will probably be more "tradional" in style rather than an outre gothic-y looking thing. The neck will be either a one-piece flame maple construction with a scarfed head, or perhaps laminated. Headstock will be capped with a spare piece of camphor burl. Neck and headstock bound to match the body. Debating on what hardware colour to use, although I may decide this on what matches well with the binding. I am really into contrasts right now (as in the white Explorer with black hardware). Might go for no inlays on the neck, or "eyes" (Doug? heh).

hourglass1.jpg

hourglass2.jpg

Yeah, I remember Doug's instrument - a beauty! Didn't Doug do a buckeye topped version too? For some reason, this shape with it's varying curves and angles suits burls and figured tops really well.

Never had a problem with the camphor, RAD. It reminds me of Tiger Balm which I rub onto my shins if I egg them up at Muay Thai. My sinuses are unusually clear, as it turns out :-D

http://www.paganguitars.com/index.htm

Before that it was Pagan's shape...don't know about before that,but it's been around a while.

Yes - C bouts have been around for a good 300-350 years since Amato, IIRC. :D

The top looks rough because it isn't finished by any means! The transitions into the C bouts and from the beaks are pretty much all that I will leave, other than the obligatory finish sanding. I've established the level of the binding around the body, so now I can mark on the hardware footprints to maintain the flat areas (pickup rings, more than anything else) and start blending the larger area of the carve in more by hand.

I actually started this project over a year and a half ago, as I wasn't confident enough with the binding due to the angles. I'm still not happy with the result really, but I can at least make it into a very playable and useful instrument nonetheless. I picked the project back up as I wanted to practice my multi-ply binding, carving and making hidden neck tenons with flush heels. Definitely a minor project to hone specific skills on.

Edited by Prostheta

Yeah, I remember seeing that one too. Really really nice work, which I wish I was at the level to do. Realistically, I would have done this whole body differently from the beginning given the choice. Still - it's better to leave something when you're not 100%, and pick it up later when you are more confident that you have the skills to make the end product you wanted in the first place....i've not burnt one guitar yet, but hell....I might indulge Drak by carbonising a couple of old s***ters.

Hey look!! Biohazard markers. Awesome!!

Edited by Prostheta

Hey Doug!

I was wondering whether or not to use that 25.5" scale "eye" board you sent me on this one ;-D

It's either that or i'm going to go for an IER board with no fret markers. I think either way, they'll both ebonise up nicely same as my EXP build.

Edited by Prostheta

UPDATE: Been glueing up the neck blank today. I've factored in a 13° scarf and used some quartersawn bubinga and flame maple. The maple's grain was ~45° to the QS bubinga, so I cut it in half and flipped one piece to get the best flame out of the maple through the neck carve. The grain looks somewhat like this: [/////|||||\\\\\]

I've been browsing the net for headstock inspiration, and the closest I can find is banjo headstocks with miniature C bouts, although they wouldn't suit a 3 over 3 tuning peg arrangement very easily. Plenty of time to decide this in the meantime. I better go find some more camphor burl for the headcap on that note....

I've been browsing the net for headstock inspiration, and the closest I can find is banjo headstocks with miniature C bouts, although they wouldn't suit a 3 over 3 tuning peg arrangement very easily. Plenty of time to decide this in the meantime. I better go find some more camphor burl for the headcap on that note....

How about taking a violin headstock, look at it from the side so you see the scroll, and make that the headstock shape? Kind of like the Stauffer headstock on old Martins, but maybe not so long, more detailed and adapted for 3+3 tuners if that's what you're going for? That would keep the violin theme going.

Like this:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_1979.380a.jpg

Or you could just go full on Ampeg or Burns scroll style...

Thanks Pukko - I was considering turning the tuners 90° and having a slotted headstock as it would offer the chance to have layers of veneer "revealed" in the leading slope into the slots. Kind of like this:

spcdbl_headstock2.jpg

...it turns out the tuners I have wouldn't work as well as I would hope, after I mocked up a design in CAD. Still, plenty of time to work on ideas.

Actually, I suppose it's do-able, but I don't like the string paths as i'm planning on using a zero fret and a roller bridge. Ideally I need straight string pulls otherwise the break angle over the nut to the tuner posts will be the force keeping the string in line....

hourglass3.jpg

I haven't been on PG in a couple of months, but I checked the site on a whim tonight. My first build is nearing completion and I started on my 2nd build this week. Guess what it is?

Camphor burl and mahogany, with a doublecut violin shape. :D

So naturally this is the first thread I clicked on. If mine turns out half this nice, I'll be stoked! Maybe I'll start a thread soon to show it off, but all I've got done right now is the neck-thru segment.

But seriously, what a coincidence! :D

Edited by IWishICouldShred

Hahaha...!! Awesome. That's fodder for the conspiracy nuts out there....i better start setting tinfoil hats in the classifieds :-D

Fingerboard (thanks Doug!):

hourglass4.jpg

(i'm more likely than as not to use chromed pickup rings on this one...)

Neck blank (flame maple/QS bubinga) showing the heel position:

hourglass5.jpg

(the flame looks inequal due to the incidence of light, but it's not)