The Conqueror Build

I had my own version of an Explorer called the Conqueror. I am in the process of creating it but you can see a picture of the mock here:

http://www.drkincguitars.com/img/conqueror.jpg

Let me know what you think about it.

I will be using black limba for the neck and body. Thought about using a nice top of spalted maple. It will have a three way switch, volume knob, and a killswich....

Spalt might look nice, but finding a piece large enough for the top might prove a challenge.

In other news, I think the body shape needs some refining. The top fin looks too fat, and the bottom horn looks too stubby. I'm a fan of Explorer shapes on the whole, though! Maybe check out the Jackson Warrior for a bit of inspiration?

Spalt might look nice, but finding a piece large enough for the top might prove a challenge.

In other news, I think the body shape needs some refining. The top fin looks too fat, and the bottom horn looks too stubby. I'm a fan of Explorer shapes on the whole, though! Maybe check out the Jackson Warrior for a bit of inspiration?

I will take that under advisement! But I was trying to get away from cloning the Warrior. Trying to make an Explorer with attitude...

I like the concept and the overall look, but the top wing and bottom horn are throwing me off. They look too fat or too short. I like the look of the splated maple on it and I like the headstock. I wouldn't try and tint the maple if you can get it to come out like that, just leave it natural.

Can't say that I'm feeling Nosferatu. The overall shape is very flowing and soft curves, and then the sharp points for the wings and where they meet. For how long it is, it looks very narrow which I think throws it off some for me. It looks like balancing is going to be a nightmare, small body, long neck, and nowhere near the 12th fret to attach a strap stud, neck dive is going to be an understatement. I do like the headstock though. It fits the concept nicely.

Ok, I thought I had wood to start the build, but I do not. I have it for the neck not the body and it is being shipped as we speak. So I took the down time and wanted to create a template for the Conqueror body. I thought I would gets some wood from the local chain home improvement center. Well, the wood I got for the template was not a good idea as it splintered heavily when I used my jig saw to cut the shape. Needless to say I have to wait one more work before I can do the body. Bummer, but I have pics of the template...

pretemp.jpg

template.jpg

If you want it to splinter less, I would suggest a finer blade with... I can't remember if its higher speeds or lower speeds... I just remember if you set your spindle speed too fast on a CNC mill, you'll melt the wax you're cutting lol. Someone correct me on that.

I also would have moved my drawing of the template over about 6 inches to avoid having those knots in it. Knots have a tendancy to fall out or splinter or make ugly colors with paint.

I like the design!

If you want it to splinter less, I would suggest a finer blade with... I can't remember if its higher speeds or lower speeds... I just remember if you set your spindle speed too fast on a CNC mill, you'll melt the wax you're cutting lol. Someone correct me on that.

I also would have moved my drawing of the template over about 6 inches to avoid having those knots in it. Knots have a tendancy to fall out or splinter or make ugly colors with paint.

I like the design!

Thanks! I am not feeling the top left when looking at the template, but that can be changed when actually working on it. The body is going to be sandwich type with black limba. The back will be made of 3 pieces since I am doing a deep tenon set neck. And the top layer will be a highly figured. Here is a picture of the black limba, man is it sweet!

figlimba.jpg