WTF Was I Thinking????

Finishing up a J bass I've been putzing with for too long and I decide to paint the haedstock black to match the body. Since it's a headstock I figure I'll use a paint bomb instead of mixing up a batch and screwing around with cleanup. So, in all my wisdom I pick up a can of black and spray away (after careful taping). Six coats on, so far so good. Wet sand and polish to perfection - sweet. Go to place my logo and realize it can't be seen with the black background. No sweat, up to the pc I go and print off 3 different colors. Still can't see it! Oh, well, an idea hits. I lay out some painters tape on a steel plate, tape down my logo and cut it out carefully with an exacto knife and I now have a stencil. Lay the stencil on the headstock and spray some white lacquer for the logo. Dry, spray, dry, spray, etc. Looks great so far..........

Pull up the tape and I have one big, fat gooey, sloppy, sticky, freakin' mess. Look over at the can of black paint and it's.............ENAMEL!!!

After I pull my head out of my rectum (took a while because I was laughing at myself pretty good!! :D ) I sand it back down to wood and stick a black logo on it.

Another four hours well spent! B)

Happens to everyone........... B) It just wasn't my day today to have it happen to, that was yesturday when trying to spray at 40 degrees when the instuctions say no lower then 50 and getting a big case of the run's all over a body :D

Oh well at least tommorrow is suppose to be back up to the 70's :D

Thanks for this post.I've been kicking myself for weeks after screwing up a top with just this problem.Sidenote :ccording to Sherwin Williams thier enamel requires 7 days of drying time before you can lay Acrylic Laquer over it.

I tried letting it dry for three and hit it with the laquer,and lots of it.The result:a controlled (and if ya believe that one......)reaction where the end result looks like book leather.Annoying if you're going for gloss,but kinda cool otherwise.I'm gonna keep it,(until I get my airbrush compressor working).

Sounds like one of Wes' pervertions  :D

strange...it does...

why don't you wrap the enamel can with masking tape, write what it is in in captals with a magic marker then wrap that up with clear tape. i work for my dad and i have a pest control license. now i don't really know much about pest chemicals, just what to use when there is spiders or ants or when i a have to spray inside or outside. so my dad buys all the chemicals in barrels and he stores them in nameless bottles plus he is too lazy to write down what it is. so usually i just put them in order in the van, but i was in rush one time to get to the next job i just chucked it in the back of the van. so one time i did use an outside chemical for ants inside someones house - i was suppose to use Fendona but instead is used Dursban. when i spray for pest i always where a respirator and safety glasses everytime i use the chemicals so i try not to smell out what it is. anyway, i got an earload from the customer because the chemical i used was so aromatically strong she started gaging. now that i write the labels in large capital letters on all the bottles, i haven't had any disgruntled customers ever since. B)

this doesn't realate much to guitars, just my occupation. but it just shows that planning and concentrating really saves time. in this case i was in a rush and messed up. :D