Project Superrg

SuperRG

Zebrawood/Ebony bodied SuperStrat for my brother. This body is based on a cross between an RG and a Blackmachine. 8/4 Zebrawood with an Ebony center strip. The 5 piece neck is maple/zebrawood with an ebony fretboard. I am experimenting

with a longer tenon on this one.

Neck : Flamed Big Leaf Maple/Walnut

Fretboard : Flamed Big Leaf Maple

Scale : 25.5

Frets : 24

Trussrod : Warmoth

Body : Zebrawood and Ebony strip.

Tuners : Gotoh Vintage RG Tuners

Pickups : V1, S1, V2 Vintage Ibanez RG pickups

Bridge : Fixed Strat bridge

Electronics : standard RG style 5-way, Volume, Tone

th_100_2232.jpg

Nice build. I really like the zebrawood!

Ive had a few run ins with tearout aswell and it sucks a**. The more bits the better(variety), always rout with the grain where you can and steady the feed rate is what ive learnt. No matter how careful you are something always tears. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It is looking very nice, I like the style on the headstock. The combination of the woods flow very good, the only area I'm not following is the neck joint. I thought that you were going with a more flowing carve instead of the traditional PRS-Gibson speed bump style. Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

It is looking very nice, I like the style on the headstock. The combination of the woods flow very good, the only area I'm not following is the neck joint. I thought that you were going with a more flowing carve instead of the traditional PRS-Gibson speed bump style. Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Undecided on the neck joint. I think I am going to wait until the neck is glued on to sculpt that out.

I have an idea and if it doesn't work I can go with a more traditional smooth transition. Since I have the really long tenon I can take a lot of wood away....

Got a lot of work to do to get to that point... fret work,control cavities, headstock plates...

I think that given the amount of meat you have in the tenon through to the body, you could easily get away with bringing the horns through as one curve across the back of the body and bringing it down into a very easy-to-access carve:

NT_07.jpg

Great to see you managed to recover from the tearout. I had to write off a zebrawood body because of that once. Zebrano seems to have a tendancy to "seperate" along the soft brown/hard white grain.

I think that given the amount of meat you have in the tenon through to the body, you could easily get away with bringing the horns through as one curve across the back of the body and bringing it down into a very easy-to-access carve:

NT_07.jpg

That is the bail out plan. I am going to try something new first. If it fails I will do one just like the picture.

Great to see you managed to recover from the tearout. I had to write off a zebrawood body because of that once. Zebrano seems to have a tendancy to "seperate" along the soft brown/hard white grain.

Yeah the carve of the top was just deep enough to remove it. I still have some work to do with the Dragon Rasps... I got some tear-out near the rear humbucker but I think it will be invisible once I throw some clear epoxy in it.

The plan is for a tru-oil finish when it is done.

Any ideas to help remove the 60 grit scratches from the grinder?

I was planning on smoothing it out with a block and then using my orbital starting with 80 -> 120 -> 220 -> 320. But I would love to use a scraper and cut out some of that work.

Be careful of recessing TOMs when using through body ferrules, as the break angles into the ferrule becomes much larger. That and you'll be restricted in the fingerboard radius to 12"-14" unless you modify the saddle slots or physically bend the TOM. I would decide on the bridge before you proceed to be fair, as you might make the project harder otherwise. :D

Running a 16 in radius and I would adjust the radius of the bridge to match regardless.... sometimes you have to take a nut file to a TOM :D I actually want to try the tusq saddles regardless of what bridge I put in... but it is not my guitar so I gotsa ask the patron.

Got it as far as break angles. Thanks for the heads up though... I was thinking about recessing the string through as well. Super sexy....