what do i finish maple with?

i was wondering what my options are for finishing maple. i want to finish my newly scalloped neck. i don't want anything fancy, i kinda like finish it used to have. also, what sort of procedure should i follow for applying a finish? B)

btw brian, i got the dremel contour sander!!! no more making do with a 1/4" round file! :D

i'll have pics soon. :D

I've used the spar urethane and the fast drying polyurethane, high gloss. They also come in spray cans. There is good and bad with anything you use. The poly makes a very hard, durable coat but will not flex with expansion and contraction of wood joints from temp/humidity changes. It will crack instead. Good side is the poly is UV protective so your finish won't yellow over the years like it can with laquer. Applying laquer requires good ventilation and breathing protection. Both will polish to a nice high gloss. My experience with poly involved several coats and wetsanding up to 1500 grit. Then polishing with Meguiar's Step 2 polish, got an unbelievable "wet" look as a result. It looked like the bar top at my local drinking establishment, :D .

I had very good luck with the MinWax spray polycrylic on my neck. It has not yellowed yet and is very tough. On the other hand, the polyurethane did have a yellow tint (vintage yellow) look to it. I used both of them on my Stratocopy in the GTOM section. The fabric on the guitar was blue and white and now it is a yellowish green.

Honestly I've spent enough time with an Exacto blade and magifying headset to say yes, Fender oversprays plenty of their necks.

Once it is dry if you score the finish at the base of the fret with a clean sharp blade it usually chip's right off the fret with your fingernail so you don't have to worry about scratching up the frets.

I used an 80's Ibanez for a good part of this year when I was away from my US home. That guitar had the typical lacquer finish covering an all maple neck. It really made me miss my rosewood board neck. Now I'm currently working on a Wolfgang neck with a light oil finish and it makes me really want an oil finished maple neck now. It's SO much better feeling than a plastic feeling lacquer type finish. And an oil finish is so easy to do, it's funny.

Rob

• 2 years later...

hope its ok for me to post here, i didnt feel like making a new thread on maple finishing when there already is one.

how necesary isit to finish a maple fretboard??

i own a custom build guitar, wich has a unfinished maple neck (well its finished with oil, linseedoil i believe, not sure), wich feels great.

now ive just started building a tele with a maple neck and maple fretboard... can i finish a maple fretboard with some oil aswell, just like the neck on my other guitar???

the fretboard is flamed maple, would it look better with laque or with oil?? or doesnt it matter alot??

thnx kiem

Edited by kiem