Projects so far

My roommate got a cheap digital camera (which means I get to use a cheap digital camera!) for Christmas so I am now able to post some images of works in progress.

The first one is a 7 string with a padauk body, maple/padauk/maple neck with cocobolo fretboard and Hot Rod truss rod. Headstock is configured with 4 left and 3 right. The neck pocket is kind of messy and I routed too deep. I could shim an angle onto it, just have'nt done so yet. Originally I was going to use the Hipshot 7 string fixed bridge on this one, but decided to hold off until I can figure out the neck route problem. Also, padauk is messy! Contaminated the whole house with a fine red dust, even with some dust collection and being careful not to spread it everyehere. I think I understand why people don't use this often. It is pretty, so I'll finish it sometime.

p7front.jpgp7back.jpg

The second one is mahogany with figured bubinga top. I used the Petrucci layout from the downloads section and sent it to Kinkos for plotting out full scale. Then I used plexiglass to trace the template and then cut it out, sanded it smooth, then used it as a router template. Worked really well. The picture does not do the figure justice.

The neck is bubinga/maple/figured bubinga/maple/bubinga with a scarf joint. The headstock area is from the same stock as the top. Absolutely beautiful stuff. Headstock is configured the same: 4 left and 3 right. I'm waiting on the truss rod and various other items from Stew Mac (probably get here tomorrow, I'm off until Wednesday so that gives me alot of time to mess it up!). Gonna be a seven string, of course, with the Hipshot 7 string fixed bridge. I have a Dimarzio Blaze to use as a template, gonna get the Tone Zone and PAF for it with 3 way switching in the next couple of weeks. My Ibanez 2027 is set up with the same pickups and switching (sometimes called Petrucci switching) and it rocks.

b7.jpg

Not the greatest stuff in the world, but man is it fun!!!!!

hey monkeyboy

your projects sound beautiful. i love your choice of timbers. bubinga is my absolute favourite of all woods. it's heavy and produce more highs, lows and mids than mahogany. in my opinion it is the perfect wood. the reason why i said 'sound' is because i can't see your pics. B) my ISP is being a **** wit and it says your site doesn't exist. nevertheless, absolutely wicked dude! :D

What I meant was that in your diagram it appears that the middle strings may not clear each other on there way to the tuner posts.

This is what I was basing that layout on. I'm sure that when I get to that point it may require a little tweaking. If I am miscalculating the layout, please let me know the right way to do it.

stringspace.jpg

Looks like you have it right. The enlargement makes it much clearer. I have found while drilling tuner holes that the bit can walk a little and with tight placement a little could be aproblem. I didn't mean to spook you, you have a great diagram and your work looks very precise.

... I have found while drilling tuner holes that the bit can walk a little and with tight placement a little could be aproblem

tap a center point and use brad bits, might help out a bit