Baking guitar

Not to mention softening up all the glue joints.

And let me add this little tidbit.

Even the evening sun, which ain't all that hot, has been enough to bubble up a fresh finish right off of a guitar before.

Nix that oven idea. Besides it's dangerous anyway sticking a flammable finish inside an oven! :D

A bit off topic, but a lot of guys in the Model Car hobby use Food dehydrators to cure their paint jobs. THis is on styrene plastic model cars, so they have to be very careful of too much heat too, lest they end up with a '23 "T" street rod looking like a Picasso painting. I wonder if a larger version of a dryer could be made, using slightly heated air, and lots of circulation. I would be scared to stick a Nitro finish anywhere near an oven. I used to have a carousel microwave/convection oven with a 150 degree setting for bread raising. I use to cure model car finishes in that, but I never had the guts to try laquer in it. I am too attached to my eyebrows!

My parent's house uses a woodstove for heat, and I always take my necks and bodies over there to dry them. I usually put them in the room next door to the room with the woodstove. The combination of slightly high room temperature, lots of air circulation and low relative humidity seems to cure them fairly well. I make sure that the bodies have gassed out for several hours before doing this, as I don't want to fumigate my folks, wear out their welcome or blow their house up! If I paint them during the day, I usually take them over at night, and hang them on a stand. I don't paint in the dead of winter here due to my booth being uninsulated, and not very heated, but Spring and Fall are good painting times. ANother reason for letting the bodies gas out for a few hours is dust. They need to get past the tacky stage before they enter a dry environment with lots of air circulation, or they end up with a fuzzy matte finish!

i agree with drak, forget the oven idea.

besides, the baking of a guitar is only done depending on what paint is used. try something a lot milder, like some lamps. if you were using two pack, you would bake it, but they bake it with heat lamps. but then again, i wouldn't use any catalytic curing methods for my axe. i would let it cure all natural. :D

then again, this is just my opinion. but take drak's words, forget the oven.