Oh where for art thou wood?

Apologies in advance for the sheer stupidity of this question :D and the obvious reaction of "oh no, not another one" by most of you B) , buuuuuuuuuuut......

I need some wood, well, rather I need to know where to get Tonewood. Yes, I have looked at the supplier list on projectguitar.com. yes I have their catalog. No, I dont think thats enough. There isnt a great selection and Id rather have a LOCAL(ish) supplier rather than someone either 100+ miles away or in another country.

I live in North West Kent in the UK :D and would(wood?) love to find someone close by, so for all you Kent based people or just people who know where, can you please tell me where to find that wood I seek? No, I dont know which particular species I want, but anywhere is a start.

Thanks in advance for you lovely people who are so fabulous, that one day someone will write songs about you!

:D:DB)

well you sure know how to butter us up!but check your local listings for cabinet wood suppliers or hardwood suppliers...the wood used in cabinets isa the same as for guitars.you are looking for a supplier with such woods as hard maple,honduran mahogany,alder,cherry,ash,anything like that.

Why don't you just try a few good searches with a search engine?

Enter your town, county, area, whatever, and words like:

hardwood

exotic wood

figured wood

maple

honduran

mahogony

resaw

walnut

...you get the idea...

or look in your local yellow pages. If there's no listing for hardwood dealers, look for local custom cabinetmakers, call them, they'll know.

If you want the good stuff, you have to spend the time looking for it.

No one ever pointed me to my local sources, I had to have the iniative and desire to go hunt them them myself.

And when one dried up, I had to spend time to search out another one. I've never been led to the local 'water', I always had to find them myself.

The retail hardwood business just isn't the type of industry where it's going to pop right out at you, you have to hunt them down, and be very happy when you find a good close one.

Maybe Brian could add a UK section to the suppliers list - I'm sure this is the fifth time I've answered this question. Anyhow:-

Craft supplies UK

Touchstone Tonewoods

David Dyke Luthier Supply

Hope these help. I've ordered from David Dyke and Craft supplies, and would recommend David Dyke for quality and service, and craft supplies if you are after great prices (their quality is OK, but somewhat hit and miss).

i drive an hour to get wood

'nuf said, wes.

sry. i'll keep it in the slam section. it was just too perfect.

Thanks for all your replies. Although Im greatful, I do detect some distain in some of the replies. I felt it best to reply just to be blatently honest with you....

Believe me, I've done MOST of what you guys suggested already with little or no luck. I've looked in yellow pages, done search engine searches, spoken to local timber companies and what have you but frankly to no avail. Cabinet makers is a great idea and one I will follow up this week.

YES, David Dyke, Craft supplies and Touchstone Tonewoods are superb companies im sure but buying over the net or even mail order is, in my opinion, a little restrictive in the choices you can get by personal business.

Drak, yes im sure you spent a lot of time looking. Mind you, if there was this thing called the internet where you could go somewhere and ask someone to point you in the right direction, im sure you would have done it, or are you the sort of person who doesnt look at maps when travelling long distance? Seems a shame to waste the experience and knowledge of others reinventing the wheel over and over again when a simple "Go here" would suffice, wouldnt you agree?

I thought the purpose of this forum and the Project Guitar website was specifically to SHARE INFORMATION ABOUT THE FABRICATION OF GUITARS. Sadly, there is little or no information that is specific to the UK, and thats not a failing but is something that should be addressed to help others like me who want to try and do something unique, and It would be nice to feel that I did the right thing by asking your opinions first rather than feel belittled due to lack of knowledge.

Still, no harm done this time and Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply. Im sure ill be around for a while to try your paitence again. :D

Cheers

Well, your obvious sensitivity issues aside for the moment... B)

As I said before, the hardwood business isn't always 'net friendly. A lot of these guys pre-date the internet.

Some of the best guys you might find could possibly have been running sawmills for 40, 50 years sometimes, and have never been formally introduced to a computer (that they liked anyway)...but they've been in the business for probably their entire life, and know more about where to find what than I'll ever know or ask of them.

They can chat you up all day just BS'in about wood and stuff, information you may never hear anywhere else ever again.

I have formed some great relationships with guys like this, and I gotta tell you, these guys don't hover over a computer all day. If at all.

Maybe that's hard for you to believe if you grew up with the 'net, I dunno...

Point is is that if you don't beat the leather to go find them, they're not coming to you, at least that's been my experience, internet or not.

All my best local sources are -completely- borderline or simply not 'net savvy at all, and I found them thru beating the bushes, asking, asking, asking around, even with the internet at my disposal...

But they got the goods. Most of the time. For certain stuff.

I also buy a lot of stuff on-line too, I use whatever is at my disposal...

But I did take the time to try to explain that to you, maybe it didn't come across proper like...

PS, Blow me with your perceived 'disdain' issues.

The information I did give you is valid and solid and works.

Now, ...where's that hit record?

:D:DB):DB):D:D:DB)B)B)

Drak couldnt be more right!

i personally hate the internet!

i think its stupid and a waste of my time, exccept for this site!

i just started asking around to locals and i found a guy who has a huge supply of mahogany, we bacame good freinds and now he sells me the wood cheap and helps me with my projects,

so my advice is get off your butt, go and start asking at hardware stores, cabinetmakers, anything that has to do with wood will probably get you in the right direction. this sight is great and it helps alot for building but its still a small drop in a huge pond, so they cant have all the info for everything.