Kahler flat-mount trems

I've been reading about (and seeing) Kahler flat-mount trems with increasing frequency over the last couple of years, and i'm wondering where they're coming from. Has somebody started manufacturing them again, or has some long-lost stash of original units been found?

I'm not really interested in acquiring one (i have no desire to return to the days of having to solder all the wraps on my strings' ball ends, thank you very much) but i'm curious as to where they're coming from. They're sweet, smoooooth trems if you've never used one before. And with proper string stretching, they did stay in tune very well. They just didn't do extreme whammy craziness as well as a Floyd design.

They just didn't do extreme whammy craziness as well as a Floyd design.

Havent used or seen a floyd yet that can keep up with my kahlers for whammy madness. The kahler is smoother, strings up quicker, has an adjustable cam to limit wammy use (if you like), has individual string adjustment for action, bearings instead of knife edges that wear, and a much better coupling to the guitar body (no fulcrums and springs to absorb tone).

I would gladly use kahlers on every guitar i build, but, unfortunately, the public has been brainwashed in thinking floyds are the best. floyd do "look" better though i reckon.

If anyone wants one, let me know.

Kahler 2300 Professional Flat Mount Tremolo

2300 PROFESSIONAL FLAT MOUNT

Suggested Retail Price: $289.50 (Ormsby Guitars price: $199.00)

Available Colors Chrome or Black

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The smooth, consistent feel and accurate pitch recovery of the Kahler® are unsurpassed. The features and benefits will add a level of confidence and creativity to your playing that you never thought possible.

* All Kahler® Cam Operated Recoil Devices™ incorporate high-tech integral designs with precision ball bearing races which are permantely sealed and lubricated. This ensures a smooth glitch-free rotation for a sensitive, free-floating feel that returns to pitch.

* The cam's pivot axis generates eccentric leverage, which creates an easy, smooth release and tightening of the strings to the maximum drop. (One octave +).

* Patented cam roller design maintains constant string to pickup height. This provides consistent sound throughout pitch drop and raise.

* The Kahler® CAMTOP™ is designed for maximum harmonic transfer, string angle and string life.

* The easy access CAMSTOPâ„¢ provides Pitch Raise Control to an exact interval (1/2 step +). String installation is made easier by enabling you to lock the cam in center position. For Pitch Drop Control set the cam for forward rotation only.

* To set the feel you want at the height you want it, our adjustable arm rotation clutch allows you to set arm height independently from rotation tension.

* All steel cams incorporate a one piece cam/string hook cage design. String hooks are spring loaded to prevent hook buzz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kahler® 4-Way Adjustable Roller Saddle Set Option

Our patented 4-Way adjusting saddle sets (available with both brass and stainless steel rollers) let you get the feel and the sound you want from your guitar.

* Our saddle roller eliminates friction at the witness point and keeps constant string height enabling you to palm the strings without changing the pitch.

* The saddle fork slide is easily adjusted and locked from the top for correct intonating.

* The saddle pivot which anchors the fork slide and roller is easily adjusted from left to right on the stainless mounting pin. This allows accurate and variable string spacing and optimum string alignment over pick-up pole pieces.

* We've created a positive harmonic transfer to the mounting block by placing one string height adjustment screw on the roller and string center line. This eliminates loose screws and unwanted saddle tilt.

Thats all the info i send out to people when they want it. They only make the trems "some of the time". They start up production once they run out of trems, and cease production while they have a heap in stock, so there is a slight chance of delays getting these units. I think the last time they stopped, it was for 2 years, but the trems were only not available for three months. I got my last one in only a month ago. If anyone wants one, let me know.

Thanks for the link!

I have to say that this Tremolo seems to be great and much better than a Floyd if it really works. You dont have to remove a big chunk of wood from the body and the unit has full contact with the body. These 2 things should increase sustain dramatically and solve one of the main problems with floyds. But the question is:

How stable is the unit? Does it take the same amount of abuse than a Floyd without detuning your guitar? Is it comfortable to use?

I've never owned one... only played on friend's guitars that had them. I really liked them. From the post that rhoads56 made above, he seems to think they are stable, etc. Now that I know that I can get a new one for about the same price as a floyd, I'm going to use it for my next (well, the one after next actually) project.

Put it this way....

Kahlers dont look as nice.

I can get floyds cheaper.

I can get floyds easier (no supply problems)

I can get floyd parts at the local deli (well, almost...)

Floyds have had 20+ years of top notch marketting

But, with every guitar that i make with a trem, i try to talk the people into the kahler. I even offer than at the same price as the floyds.

When i use a floyd, it feels as though i can feel the knife edges grinding away, and the springs are catching as they stretch. Of course they arent, but compared to the kahler, thats how they feel.

The only person that i know of that has endorsed Kahlers, is Dave Mustain, not by getting out there and pushing the product, but by specifying them on his signature model, and using them on tour and in the studio. Randy Rhoads (RIP) was helping Kahler develop their system when he passed away. Kahlers only problem to date has been bad marketting.

The jackson guitars website is down right now, but they have the only production model i know of thats fitted with a kahler. Its the king V dave mustain, or something like that.

Hey guys, have you checked out eBay?? :D I bought three tremolos there, two Kahlers and a Washburn Wonderbar. I paid $120 for a Kahler Pro, $117 for the Washburn and $75 for another Kahler Pro that I actually have installed on my ESP Mirage Custom from the 80's which I also got off of eBay for $399 in excellent condition! :D All three trems were in excellent condition, I hate Floyds, always have, and don't see why they have lasted so long! I think Kahlers are smoother, B) do the same thing or more without the springs and are alot easier to change strings on. I don't solder my strings and haven't had any probs to speak of :D. I was using Washburns at first, just for ease of installation on guitars that I build, but since I discovered a plethora of Kahlers at eBay, that's where I go now for an old favorite that was lost long ago! B) Happy Hunting!! :D

cgtrox B)