Iceman

I watched some more Dr. Who this morning and leveled out the finish. When I removed the top levels of the finish, I could smell the lacquer again. I guess it has to sit for another couple of weeks. :D

That sucks. I hope it was an episode with Mary Tamm in it! Keys of time and all that...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quit after Peter Davidson regenerated into that Colin dude.

I really like the yellow and the pick guard on this one.

Thanks

Colin baker was HORRIBLE, but the one after him - Sylvester McCoy - was great. Then there's the new series that's been coming out for the last few years. Those have been phenomenal.

• 4 weeks later...

I found that the "acrylic in a can" can actually cure relatively quickly if you experiment with technique and the different types available. I used Plastikote *matte* finish for my "Dark Sabre" which seems to dry off a hell of a lot faster than the gloss and satin equivalents. I also used many very light coats, what you could call halfway between "dusting" coats and the usual "wet" coats. After flatting (difficult to see low spots with satin of course) I cleared with 2k and it worked a dream. No sinking or issues, and is as glossy as cleared gloss!

Whether what I found was down to a different ratio of solids to solvents (or whatever) or the innate particle coarseness of the solids (being matte) allowing gassing off differently I have no idea. Discovered this by pure serendipity as B&Q has run out of gloss at the time. ;-)

Nice idea with the pickguard John. I guess it's too late to suggest black binding on the body and the neck, then. :D