No Truss Rod

i'd rather have one & not need it than need it & not have one.

+1

For a fairly standard scale length, truss rods are cheap, pretty easy to install if you have a straight edge to guide your router. Much rather have one and never adjust it than get your guitar strung up and realise you have a half inch action at 24th fret... :D

forgive me for my ignorance, but are truss rods removable? would I be able to replace a truss rod in my guitar, or is it a permanent fixture? (and if broken, permanently broken?)

you woudl have to take off the fretboard, and put a new one on after.

Is that a major replacement? Difficult? Just speaking hypothetically...

Old Ric trussrods are supposed to be able to slid out of the neck. Have not tried it but I think Melvyn Hiscock mentions that in his book.

I used to use the hotrods exclusively. After i got one with a faulty Allen nut (just a round hole were the wrench should go) I started to look els were. I know that Stumac offers to replace all those faulty rods that went out a couple of years ago but that triggered my curiosity for alternatives. I now use a rod available from Allied Luthiers among others:

http://www.alliedlutherie.com/truss_rods.htm

It is probably an Asian made one as it is available from a multitude of suppliers. The main advantage is physical size. They need only a 9mm/.35" deep rout in the neck compared to 11.1mm/.44" for the hotrod. The functionality of the two rods are the same. If I would try to evaluate the quality of the two rods I would say that the welded version has a greater tendency to to rattle and feels a bit more straight forward.