Guitarnut - Prs Custom 22

First of all I can't believe you are cooking them in the closet... How does that studio smell?

Nice work as always.

Thanks!

It's a water based acrylic lacquer...absolutely no odor. When you're close to an open can, it's no more than smelling latex wall paint but after it's sprayed, zero odor. I love this stuff!

EM6000 Production Lacquer

Peace,

Mark

I use it... I get a little of the ammonia smell while it is gassing off.

be safe respirate :D

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got started on buffing this morning. I started with 1000 grit, then 2000 grit wet sanding. Then buffed with fine ColorTone compound. I switched from my small buffer to a foam pad. It worked beautifully. It took only seconds before I had a smooth mirror shine...something the small buffer took much longer to accomplish.

I was sanding/buffing 4 guitars this morning, so this is only to fine compound. I need to make a pass with swirl remover and then hand polish.

fin28.jpg

fin29.jpg

fin30.jpg

I hope to finish this one and dress it out this weekend.

Peace,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
This is as far as I want to go with the pocket for now. I left the pocket a bit shallow until I get the fretboard on and bridge placed to see exactly how proud of the pocket the neck needs to be. I don't have access to a PRS to measure this so I'll have to figure it our later... I'm not using a PRS bridge, so it wouldn't matter anyway.

body27.jpg

A decent fit considering I was sort of making it up as I went.

body28.jpg

body29.jpg

More soon.

Mark

Hey, I was just curious if you have any tips for making the neck pocket more sharp/"90* Angleish, since the guitar Im building now is also using a neck that isn't curved on the end corners... Hopefully the wording of this isn't confusing you.. xP.

Thanks a lot!

• 10 months later...

Well, my last post on this build was May of last year...talk about lazy. The guitar has been sitting in a rack since then, untouched. After finishing my Tele Challenge build this year, I was bitten by the bug once again. I promised myself I wouldn't start any more builds until I finish the ones I have going. Really, there was no reason not to finish it last year. I had to go back 24 pages to find the thread. Pitiful!

So, I've brought it up to this point. Nut cut and slotted. Electronics mounted, strung up and action checked. Dealt with a few minor fret end issues...nothing a touch of CA couldn't fix. The black knobs are temp. I have amber and gold speed knobs coming in, hopefully today.

comp03.jpg

comp04.jpg

comp05.jpg

comp06.jpg

I saw your wood stash at TDPRI. I am incredibly jealous. I'm going to get myself some em6000 for my current builds. I hope it turns out as well as yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome finishing, i really want to try em 6000 but its not available in the UK afaik.

Thanks!

Contact Jeff Weiss over at Target Coatings Forum and see what's available. He's a great guy and knows the products very well.

I saw your wood stash at TDPRI. I am incredibly jealous. I'm going to get myself some em6000 for my current builds. I hope it turns out as well as yours.

Thanks! EM6000 is a very good product, easy to use, easy cleanup. Well worth the learning curve...which isn't too bad.

Peace,

Mark

Awesome build! I was wondering if the bridge could get recessed even more and use no angle in the neck at all. Would it be viable? How do you think it would affect the carve? Thanks.

Jose.

Recessing the bridge to eliminate the neck angle is really common.

Awesome build! I was wondering if the bridge could get recessed even more and use no angle in the neck at all. Would it be viable? How do you think it would affect the carve? Thanks.

Jose.

Recessing the bridge to eliminate the neck angle is really common.

On a Les Paul or similar design (single cut) you think the carve would look too diferent or wierd? I was thinking this way, (no angle) would leave more material in the back of the joint so it would be easier to carve a smooth heel reminiscent of Gibson Alex Lifeson Axcess.

Thanks.

Jose.

Following the adage that "if we can't hear it, it didn't happen", I put some sound samples together. I made clips of all PUs but put them on a web page instead of listing them all here.

I'm not sure what brand these PUs are. Two wire, no frills zebras. I bought them off eBay for $20. I'll be upgrading soon. Played thru a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue clean channel with a little help from a Pod X3Live. SM57 tight to the grill, slightly off axis.

Sound Clips

Peace,

Mark