84 Gibby Explorer Replica

I think it depends who's painting methods you're using. I use lex luthier's method in the tutorial section. So in my case you're right. However, the home depot method is to just prime and hen paint... Which will result in wicked bad grain showthrough.

How do you do yours?

(edit)

actually, both ways have their grain problems. They just get solved at different steps

Edited by Narcissism

I think it depends who's painting methods you're using. I use lex luthier's method in the tutorial section. So in my case you're right. However, the home depot method is to just prime and hen paint... Which will result in wicked bad grain showthrough.

How do you do yours?

(edit)

actually, both ways have their grain problems. They just get solved at different steps

I grain-fill with sanding sealer. From there, it's just gray or white primer, then the paint. Not much to it actually. It's the same with open or closed grain woods. On closed grain woods like maple or poplar, the grain lines will still show through the paint if it's not sealed first.

How do you do yours?

(edit)

So what's this Lex Luthier method?

I just spray a ton of automotive primer until its level

That works. The sanding sealer we have at work is basically resin that you can stain.

So what's this Lex Luthier method?

Oops, my bad! I ment LGM Guitars

Here's a link from the tutorial section.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1362

Edited by Narcissism

yes, we all know wes hates plain bare woods. But i love my quartersawn african mahogany... I will NEVER paint mahogany ever again. EVER!

Got a few smudged spots on the white, Turns out my spray gun was leaking, and some dried primer that was under the trigger went liquid again, and dripped on the white while i was spraying white... I wiped most of it off, but you can still see the discoloration... Now i have to touch those spots up with basecoat again, then clear again..

Well,truth be told I don't hate it at all,I just think it is overdone.And the cries of "how could you!?" every time someone paints a guitar an actual color is a little bit "total drama island" for me...

Some woods you use for tone,some for looks.For me Limba,mahogany,alder,etc are all just for tone..figured woods are for natural guitars.