Jackson Randy Rhoads

Hi everybody this is my first post in the forum, it's a long time that I visit it and finally now I decided to register.

I've decided to build my first guitar this summer and I chose to do a jackson randy rhoads with 24 frets, thru neck, with floyd rose...an easy thing :D

I've looked through all the forum for the dimensions and all i find is this site: http://helliumguitars.vilabol.uol.com.br/ but the archive's link is broken :D

Can someone give me the right dimensions?

P.S.: I'm italian and I don't speak a perfect english, but I hope you could understand me B)

Can someone give me the right dimensions?

P.S.: I'm italian and I don't speak a perfect english, but I hope you could understand me :D

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...mp;#entry463010

That is a post I made on making templates from pictures. That might help you with this since the link is broken.

By the way you were perfectly understandable with your english don't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I have two new question about the guitar

1) I haven't a V-shaped guitar and I don't know where is the most comfortable place for the jack, for playing also seated. I thought, under the volume knob as the strato; is it a good idea? Is better in any other place?

2) I want to buy two humbucker, don't spending too much money, and i think that the Dimarzio Super Distortion and the DiMarzio PAF could be good; I found them on internet about on 100-120€. They were used by Randy rhoads and are still used by dave murray,adrian smith and a lot of other guys.

I usually play heavy and trash metal, in your opinion are they good pickups for this music and this price?

If you look at the Jackson's they put the jack in two places depending on which model it is. The high end Rhoads such as the RR1 and RR3 has the jack on the inside curve of the upper wing. The rest have it on the inside curve of the lower wing. Most people who play a Rhoads sitting place the crook of the vee on their thigh, so upper wing is a little better and it keeps the cable out of the way better when standing and moving. The upper wing is harder to get a wire run to though.

As for pickups, give us an idea of the woods you are planning to use since that will affect the overall tone. Some woods being brighter do not go as well with certain pickups.

yeah i know the leg in the v thing i will have to admit i have only ever played with one (it happened to be a jackson v don't remember the model but i do remember it had flames on it) any way had it over night putting emgs in it and just couldnt get the feel of it seated.

What were you thinking in terms of price for pickups, because that really determines a lot. If you want to stay in the lower price range, the pickups you mentioned earlier might be your best bet if you can get them cheaper than normal. (I don't know if those prices are cheaper, I only know states prices). If you want metal,, but don't want to pay EMG prices, you could always try some of those dragonfire knockoffs, I heard that they aren't too bad for the price, but if your favorite artists both used the dimarzios, I say go for them and see what you can do with them, we all know dimarzios sound good. Also, your amp can really determine what type of music you can get out of a guitar also, a nice high gain amp can make any pickups more thrash-like.

Edited by Reinhold

What were you thinking in terms of price for pickups, because that really determines a lot. If you want to stay in the lower price range, the pickups you mentioned earlier might be your best bet if you can get them cheaper than normal. (I don't know if those prices are cheaper, I only know states prices). If you want metal,, but don't want to pay EMG prices, you could always try some of those dragonfire knockoffs, I heard that they aren't too bad for the price, but if your favorite artists both used the dimarzios, I say go for them and see what you can do with them, we all know dimarzios sound good. Also, your amp can really determine what type of music you can get out of a guitar also, a nice high gain amp can make any pickups more thrash-like.

Agreed although guitarheads actives are more "metal" if thats what you are going for...

As i wrote above the price had to be more or less 120 €; I think that i could spend at least 150€.

Two of my favorite guitar player use the two dimarzio pickups but they play both heavy metal and not thrash metal, so I'm not sure of the choice.

The EMGs, if i remember well are 200€ both and I really can't spend so much.

For the amp, I use a peavy vypyr 15w and i think it can make really more trash-like the pickups, but i'm still not sure.

I've seen another two that could be good: Seymour Duncan Jazz Model SH-2N, Seymour Duncan JB TB4

They are 140€ both so I could buy them, if you can tell me what are better between the first choice and these semour duncan, I think i finally have my pickups :D

I have the JB/Jazz combo in one guitar and love them, but that guitar has a mahogany body. That is the set that Dave Mustaine played for a long time. But using so much maple I would replace the JB with a Duncan Distortion or a Custom (that's just the name, it's not custom made). The JB has more pronounced treble and with the maple it could easily become too bright. The Custom and the Distortion are very similar in sound to the JB, but have the treble rolled back a little and more pronounced bass. All three are very popular pickups, especially with the Jackson crowd, it just depends on your taste. Check out the Jackson Charvel forum. Those pickups are discussed a lot on there.

FWIW, I've purchased from GuitarHeads and was pleased with his prices and service. We put together a package of hardware I needed for 2 Tele builds that worked out well for me, pickups, bridges, tuners, string trees etc. I will buy from him again. -Vinny

I've choosen the jb pickups. :D

Now i've got another question: a friend of mine, a carpenter, suggested me to use a single piece of wood for all the guitar.

But, he is a carpenter not a luthier so i don't trust him a lot.

Is really better to use a single piece of wood? There are any drawbacks of using one single piece instead of the three of a neck through?

Edited by sciacallo010

I'm not going to get into the tonal differences or anything along those lines. But one big drawback is the size of the lumber you'll need. Rhoads are pretty wide, so to find a board 8/4 thick and roughly 20" wide in one piece is going to be hard, and very expensive. On top of that you are paying for the entire board, and in reality using less than half of the lumber you bought. It's a pretty big waste of material.

Besides this are there others drawbacks?

Structurally and tonally no drawbacks. It will certainly add a few levels of difficulty particularly for a first build.

Wait a minute....I'm assuming that when you say all from one piece of lumber, you mean making the neck and body all from one piece. If so, then details like fretting, headstock shaping and drilling, routing and so on are trickier, especially for a first build, because you have a whole guitar hanging onto the other end of the part you are working on. It can be done and done well. See one posted by Pauliemc for the most recent example here.

If youare talking about just making the body from one piece instead of a glue up then there are no other drawbacks at all, and you've saved yourself the step of the glue up. You are just going to spend more money and waste more wood as was mentioned.

SR

If you are doing the whole body out of one flatsawn piece of lumber, then at about 20" wide, you have to worry about the body starting to warp over time, since a flatsawn piece of that size will alternate through very large portions of the log it was cut from. That means that over time it is possible to see some bowing from side to side. For that reason alone I would shy away from a piece of wood that wide, not to mention the expense.