Possible To Extend Fretboard?

Hi,

OK -- this is a really weird, likely bad, idea, but perhaps someone here has tried this.

I recently picked up an old Ibanez RT body as discussed in another thread. The body has a standard strat heel, with allowance for a long fretboard extension (shallow route to accomodate frets 22-24). In the previous thread, I was considering mounting a 22-fret neck on it and maybe moving the neck pup up to the usual location. Now I've reconsidered and decided to stick with a 24 fret neck, as the body was originally equipped with. But...

The original necks on the RTs were rosewood board "Vipers" -- very strat-like. I'd like something similar with a maple board. I've found that maple board 24-fret necks are not easy to come by, or at least not anything with a vintage profile. There are plenty of Ibanez Wizard and Wizard IIs around, but those are flat, wide and skinny. I checked around and the usual sources (Allparts, Mighty Mite...) don't sell maple board 24-fret necks. USACG won't make one. Warmoth will custom build for around $220, as will several small luthiers.

I have a number of great 22-fret necks around and am wondering if it's possible to pin/screw/glue a fretboard extension onto one of those necks. I recall (from a very long time ago) that Brad Gillis did this to add another fret to his 21-fret strat. It seems like this should be possible given the various high tech glues available. Anyone ever tried this, or is it just a ridiculous idea?

Cheers,

Bert

it could work out ok, lot of work for very little gain though

if it was a solid maple neck i was modifying i would route the end of the fretboard down through the thickness of a fretboard - somewhere around the 15th fret onwards. a new piece of maple could then be attached. To do this properly you need to defret, route the ledge, glue on the new bit of maple, slot for the new frets, re radius the board, refret and finish.... a lot of work! Infact i was aksed to do this to make a 23 fret strat (???) and i ended up just making a whole new neck instead

any other neck i would just replace the fretboard

i dont think he was saying it was a ridiculous idea. Just maybe not the most practical way of getting what you are wanting.

Oh, I know -- I was just making a lame joke.

Wezv, I hadn't thought of doing it the way you suggested, but I see that what you're describing would be the proper way to do it. I was thinking more along of the lines of attaching a ~1-1/2" piece (probably stolen from another dead neck) directly onto the end. Doing it that way, it'd be just my luck to be soloing at some high profile venue, reaching for the glory note, and the end of the fretboard makes a sickening crack and flies into the crowd. Hendrix could probably have made that look cool, but I'm not sure I'd get away with it...

Sure you can just slap a piece of maple on the end and replace the Fretboard, but its not the best idea or even a good idea. Splitting the neck further up as wezv said and scarfing in a replacement is a better choice. The issue with just cutting off the end and splicing on a piece, is glue surface and grain direction. It would be less than stable (end gran to end grain) and you are mixing new wood with old wood as well. There are other ways like adding a dovetailed splice which will increase the glue surface area plus lock in the wood. Even a tendon would help.

To get these two extra frets is it really worth it. You can make a new neck in about the same amount of time it takes to add pieces to an old neck plus it would look better.

Yes its a bad idea. IMO

I took a quick look at the other thread, and since you're considering kooky ideas, how about this little less invasive kooky idea : You make a mini 2 fret board piece that screws down on the body onto that extension part. The screws would be in the fret slots with the fret tangs notched to fit over the screw heads. If you'd undo it later, the worst you'd be left with is the little screw holes in the body.

OR... get one of these, reshape the radius to 7.5" (or whatever you consider a "vintage profile" using one of these. Remove the old fretboard, glue on the new, trim the edges to the neck shape, fret, crown, presto!. The over hanging fretboard will have the same amount of "stick out" as the old so there shouldn't be a structural difference there. total coast 13.65 + 15.95 + frets and hard work

OR... get one of these, reshape the radius to 7.5" (or whatever you consider a "vintage profile" using one of these. Remove the old fretboard, glue on the new, trim the edges to the neck shape, fret, crown, presto!. The over hanging fretboard will have the same amount of "stick out" as the old so there shouldn't be a structural difference there. total coast 13.65 + 15.95 + frets and hard work

Was just about to suggest the same myself.

If your gonna do it, then do it right with a complete replacement board. Botch jobs have a habit of goin down the crapper.

If your gonna do it, then do it right with a complete replacement board. Botch jobs have a habit of goin down the crapper.

Ah -- so true. A couple of good suggestions there. I particularly like SwedishLuthier's recommendation although I know that I would have to pay someone else to complete the refret and fret finishing work, as I have neither the skills nor the tools. I'll have to ponder this.

I was surprised to learn how difficult it is to obtain a 24-fret maple board neck -- that combo just isn't available in a "pre-fab" neck. Actually, I think Eden probably sells them, but their repuation precedes them and I'll pass on the gawdy vine or dragon inlays, thank you. This was intended to be a cheap, side project but we know how that goes. Once I'm into something, I'd like to see it turn out well.

Thanks again to everyone for their input -- all suggestions are appreciated!

Bert

if it was a solid maple neck i was modifying i would .....

any other neck i would just replace the fretboard

for those that missed it my suggestion on a way for modding the neck was purely intended for solid 1-piece maple necks - which is how a lot of aftermarket maple necks are made and probably why its harder to find them for 24 fret overhangs

i agree with the others completely if the neck has a seperate fretboard... much better to replace it completely

when considering getting someone to fret and finish it for you consider that the $220 from somewhere like warmoth starts looking like a much better deal