Firebird I Replica

Its pretty much a replica of a gibson firebird I with a few differences.

So think Gibson FB1 +:

*ebony fretboard

*Cf reinforced neck

*steinberger tuners

*wenge veneer in neck lams

*pigtail bridge + tone-pros studs

*Lollar mini-humbucker

*Oil finish

going with the steinberger tuners because I am using a traditional firebird headstock. Gibson now put normal tuners on them rather than the old banjo style which means the headstock does not give straight string pull. I have some of these steinberger tuners on my CSL firebird and they work well

start1-1.jpg

Test fit time (with plastic from my CSL firebird):

testfit1-1.jpg

testfit2-1.jpg

well the lollar, pigtail and tuners are all a bit pricey. thank god the parts count is quite low.... and i didnt have to pay for them :D

first time i have done one with the raised centre section (which made glue-up fun) . . . but i have done a few firebirds before. going back a few years, here is my 3rd ever guitar

wv4.jpg

and i did another at the same time - but carved through the neck so cut it off and made it a set-neck:

wv6.jpg

far from perfect but i was happy with the save.... and the idea of a firebird junior - which i keep meaning to revisit and do a proper version

more recently i made a body for this old neck (mate had a crappy N2, we replaced the neck ages ago, but finally it got a new body this year)

fb1.jpg

I like firebirds - even with there ergonomic issues

• 1 month later...

this isnt too far off done now.

been spending a while getting the colour right since the mahognay was a little pale

testfit1-1.jpg

now it looks more like:

oil2-1.jpg

had a few more coats of oil and been buffed a bit since then

its now wired and strung up, the lollar mini-hum is amazing... just got to do final set-up and finalise its plastic parts

just about done with this

testfit12.jpg

needs a new plate as there are some patches of discolouration on this - it would look good if it was a bit more even, but sadly its not... this is the practice run with a rub-on firebird decal

testfit3-1.jpg

truss rod cover just needs a trim on the bottom edge

testfit22.jpg

and it needs a backplate and strap buttons

testfit4.jpg

its how i do my heels. the gibsons have varied a lot, but are usually just square or rounded in shape, but not contoured away like this

gibson-firebird-v-back.jpg

ED2039bc.jpg

i kept mine larger than i normally would as its going to have a heel strap button in the normal firebird location. not my choice but its a light enough guitar that balance should be great anyway

and yes - its wenge effect worktop... sadly not solid, but if it was i would probably keep taking chunks out of it :D

just about done with this

testfit12.jpg

needs a new plate as there are some patches of discolouration on this - it would look good if it was a bit more even, but sadly its not... this is the practice run with a rub-on firebird decal

testfit3-1.jpg

truss rod cover just needs a trim on the bottom edge

testfit22.jpg

and it needs a backplate and strap buttons

testfit4.jpg

Man, this is a real beauty !!

Simplicity itself, and still so tasty.

I never liked the FB and now I want one !!

I never liked the FB and now I want one !!

cheers blackdog - cant beat that for a compliment :D

Truth be told, my only experience with a FB dates back to the early 90s when I got to try one of those Gibson FB fives of the time for a full weekend. I remember that it was clearly neck heavy and the way it hung on the strap made reaching the first frets a bit of a stretch, it felt like a 24 fretter in some way. I also remember that the sustain was quite good but it had a very noticeable metallic ringing to it, and at the time I was told that it was intrinsic of the neck through design.

Even though I have a different view of guitars now that I have built some (still don't like the Corvus), it is pretty much based on those impressions that I have never attempted to build a neck through yet... Maybe time to reconsider.

Truth be told, my only experience with a FB dates back to the early 90s when I got to try one of those Gibson FB fives of the time for a full weekend. I remember that it was clearly neck heavy and the way it hung on the strap made reaching the first frets a bit of a stretch, it felt like a 24 fretter in some way. I also remember that the sustain was quite good but it had a very noticeable metallic ringing to it, and at the time I was told that it was intrinsic of the neck through design.

Even though I have a different view of guitars now that I have built some (still don't like the Corvus), it is pretty much based on those impressions that I have never attempted to build a neck through yet... Maybe time to reconsider.

they can hang funny... but i was really carefull with the wood selection on this to make it hang well - i am looking forwad to putting strap buttons on and finding out if it paid off. Scale length is shorter than my last firebird too, the 25.5" was a bit of a stretch. This is a 24 5/8" which has a real vintage feel

never noticed a metallic ringing on through necks - but that could be a different description of something i take for granted. I do like doing neck throughs but i still consider the full width extended tenon to be the best sounding neck join - even though i do less of them than other styles.

they can hang funny... but i was really carefull with the wood selection on this to make it hang well - i am looking forwad to putting strap buttons on and finding out if it paid off. Scale length is shorter than my last firebird too, the 25.5" was a bit of a stretch. This is a 24 5/8" which has a real vintage feel

never noticed a metallic ringing on through necks - but that could be a different description of something i take for granted. I do like doing neck throughs but i still consider the full width extended tenon to be the best sounding neck join - even though i do less of them than other styles.

Isn't it funny how the shorter scale works better on the bigger guitars? I am going to go to a 25" scale on my Destroyers moving forward because of the same reach thing you were speaking about.

So on the neck wood selection did you look for the lightest piece of mahogany in the pile? Or did you find the heaviest pieces for the wings?

extremely light wings with a moderately weighed neck section, the weight is spread nicely down the centre which sjould help prevent the forwward tilt i hate with heel strap button placement. I also thinned the headstock recesses a lot more in an attempt to keep the headstock a bit lighter. It also has the super lightweight pigtail bridge

i find getting balance and ergonomics right is more about spreading the weight all over rather than just adding more weight to the body end which is often done to combat headstock dive

the whole thing weighs in a smidge heavier than 7lbs and balances with a pretty damn perfect playing angle when held in the upper strap button position.