Bearcaster

Hi all, wanted to share this one I just finished up for my friend, Al "Bear" Rozelle, who has the only music store out in this part of the boondocks.

bearcaster2.jpg

The top of this one is yellow pine bead board, salvaged from a door of a railroad freight house, with the original green paint.

The back is eastern red cedar, and the neck is beech, with a black locust fretboard.

bearcaster3.jpg

Al was born in Pennsylvania in 1945, so there's the story behind the pickguard, and the knobs have caps from local breweries of that era.

bearcaster6.jpg

The tailpiece is made from an old iron strap hinge.

Pickups are from Allparts, made in Japan.

Bridge is from Tonepros, with graph-tech saddles. I got it for a guitar I built with a Bigsby vibrato, but the stupid saddles flex and don't return to the same position; so Al gets a fancy, overpriced bridge gratis, and the Bigsby guitar gets a cheap Wilkinson roller bridge that works perfectly.

Tuners are Grover Deluxe.

Thanks a bunch all!

Wez- It does kinda look like PRS faux binding doesn't it? It's really just the way I routed the edges of the painted wood, but maybe that's how they do it too?

And yes, I am really liking the color a lot, myself. Definitely gonna do more.

Geo- no finish on the black locust. It's one of the hardest woods in the US. It has a somewhat open pored grain, though, so it will collect some grime.