Help? Carve Or No Carve?

Okay... I really can't decide here.. I want to do a carve and I built the Sawdust Generator jig to help me do so; I'm just afraid I'm going to screw it up. And I know screwups happen to everyone, and certainly on their first guitar, it's just that the carve is something unnecessary that would look cool if done right, but can ruin the whole guitar if done wrong. This is about what I'd be aiming for:

18m3w9.jpg

And this is my guitar so far:

2qvwawx.jpg

With neck, et c.:

21oo460.jpg

Any advice? Yay or nay? :D

Thanks a lot!

Spencer. :D

Being your first build, a carve might not be a bad thing to give a try. However, somehow I can't really picture that kind of carve that you pictured on your guitar. It's mostly the little extra part you have on the lower cutaway that I can't really picture. I agree with Untitled Project, I think it'd look pretty good with just a roundover and some oil. just my two cents

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that a carve would look a little odd when the wood was just plain mahogany. That might work; I already did a roundover on the back and was thinking of that as an option for the front, as well. Wouldn't the roundover be kinda odd on the horns, though? Mmhm, a tru-oil finish is planned.

Thanks for the responses!

Spencer. :D

Edited by s2p2e

An LP type carve could be interesting and wouldn't involve the horns though I'm not sure how it would work without a neck angle...the bridge you're showing wouldn't require one. A switch to a stop bar/TOM or wrap-around would look great but would require a neck angle unless you recess it into the top.

My 2 cents.

lp_carve.jpg

That would be interesting on it. But I agree about the neck angle; it'd be hard to work the carve out into the wood towards the horns without one. And I really don't have the funds to buy a new bridge right now, since my router broke and I'm still paying off the new one. Otherwise, I would definitely consider it.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. :D

• 4 weeks later...
I still can't decide on this.. I've been thinking about it a lot, at least, as much as possible, given that school's back in.. I just can't decide on what to do with it. And I'm still afraid of screwing it up. :D

Make up 2 practice bodies in scrap pine. Carve em both to get the feel for it. To be honest, a Les paul carve is a walk in the park. so stop panicing & give it a go. You should be fine.