Walnut As A Neck Wood And Set Neck Question....

Hi all - newbie here, contemplating my first build. I have a chance to pick up some walnut for a great price. Not sure yet if I will be able to find 1/4 sawn or just flat/rift sawn - but can I get the general feeling here on how walnut does as a neck wood? Seems to me like it would be a good choice, but I've only used it for other projects, having never built a guitar before. Thanks in advance - and thank you all for the TONS of info I've gained off this site!!

Second question - I was contemplating a bolt on for my first build, but I'm usually one to take on the whole enchilada at once. I feel I do better and learn more that way. So, now thinking 'set neck' for my #1 build. The body style will be along the lines of the EVH Wolfgang, body thickness probably in the 1 1/2 1 3/4 range. I'd like to do a 24 3/4" scale, zero neck angle (floye rose). Neck will likely be a scarf jointed 13 degree type deal. For you set neck guys - what kind of 'meat' do you like to have left in the bottom of the guitar body after you route out the neck heel pocket? I will draw the whole think up on edge so I can size the neck heel / etc - but I want to know what a good dimension is typically for the thickness of the pocket.

Thank you for any help you can provide a newbie :D

Excellent! Thanks for the replies and tips! Am I correct in thinking it would be a bit heavy and bright as a body wood? I have a cool maple top I want to use, but my guess is that coupled with walnut behind it, would make for a heavy, bright sounding guitar.

1/4" neck pocket, min. 1 3/4" body. Got it. This site ROCKS.

Thanks!!

Like most woods, walnut weight can vary a lot from piece to piece. Most of my stash I got from one tree and it is as light as most Honduran mahogany I've had.

It is a little brighter than mahogany but not as bright as ash or alder to my ears, so I think you'd be fine. I just finished a 27" scale baritone LP with walnut neck & body with a bocote cap, it weighs a bit over 9 lbs.

Hate to be the grumpy old man, but a quick search for walnut would have given you as much hits as needed to cover that topic.

Anyway; welcome to the forum

Swedish - not to be grumpy back, but I did search on walnut - I found some good info, but wanted to flesh out my ideas with a couple more questions. Sorry if I offended, I'm big on searching on a new forum, as I also dislike the 'newbie with obvious questions' thing.

So I went and picked up some of the walnut last night. I got a couple boards - one is 14 inches wide, 77 inches long, 7/8 inch thick - 100% clear, nicely figured flatsawn. I've never seen a 14" wide walnut board - wow! It was sawed at least 30 years ago! Nice wood, can't wait to get going!