Yellowing Of Nitro Over Time

MrMuckle

Hey, does anyone have before and after pictures of a guitar that has yellowed over time with nitrocellulose lacquer? Preferably a natural finish over figured wood. I'm curious to see just how dramatic the change is. How quickly does nitro begin to yellow? Thanks!

it will take a decade . its more of a clear transparent than poly i built several guitars in the last 2 years a couple necks nitro finish & 2 with poly the 2 poly necks are naturally yellower than the nitro neck & after 2 years the nitro is not changed

Actually, no. I'm not looking to yellow the nitro any quicker. I'm not sure I want any yellowing at all. I'm deciding on what finish I want on a first build and I'm leaning more towards poly with some type of UV inhibitor, though ten years isn't bad for nitro. Thanks for your replies, everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to get your nitro to yellow faster.

Take your nitro and put it in a jar.

Leave it outside in the sun.

In a year it will be dark amber.

Use it for a couple of coats near the end of the finishing process.

PM thank yous to me!

OR... :D

Add 2-3 drops of amber tint to it and shave off a year's wait. :D

If you want to get your nitro to yellow faster.

Take your nitro and put it in a jar.

Leave it outside in the sun.

In a year it will be dark amber.

Use it for a couple of coats near the end of the finishing process.

PM thank yous to me!

OR... :D

Add 2-3 drops of amber tint to it and shave off a year's wait. :D

Doesn't quite look the same IMHO... but works quite well when you don't have a year.

I missed the original intent. For some reason he doesn't want it to yellow. (I personally love it...)

Use the target coatings EM6000 lacquer it is not supposed to yellow ever. Keep your guitars out of the sunlight as well (the case is the safe place those neon ones I built will be ruined in a few years).