Cherry Blossom

theres a thread for the inlay part of this in the inlay section here, but i thought id do a build thread too.

so far the wood has only just come today (apart from the top which will be another week or so), so for pics i'll just post the back for now

SAM_1048.jpg

close up showing the engraving.

08.jpg

the centre of the flowers is brass dust

this will be by far the most ambitious inlay iv done, and indeed will only be my fourth ever (iv done another but its not in a guitar yet) - eep

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm. the horn doesnt show up as much as i was hoping. i glued it in with epoxy mixed with brass dust to try to help it show up a bit more. this is only sanded to 80 so once it gets sanded and polished it will show up more. also, the petals havent been glued in yet as i dont have enough dots and theres no point doing some and then doing more later

20-1.jpg

21-1.jpg

yeah if it was just on the neck id be dremelling away hehe.

i think once the petals and flowers go in it will help it as well. and that is only sanded with 80 so it should stand out more when its all polished up

EDIT: i think i might engrave the branches a bit and fill it with something lighter so theres highlights on it - so you can actually see theres something there from more than a foot away hehe

heres the neck so far. theres a maple veneer under the fretboard (which isnt glued on yet - the fretboard that is) and the headstock has maple and black veneers too so it will match the body. the headstock will also get a maple front to match the top. when it finally gets here

24-1.jpg

25-1.jpg

yesterday i rough cut the top and cut out the headstock top and glued it on. it was only after i took the clamps off and turned it over i realised i put the volute too close to the last tuner. so i took the back veneers off and was grumpy.

today i re-cut the back of the headstock so the volute was in the right place, trimmed the headstock top down a bit so the headstock would be the right thickness, then glued the veneers on again.

28-1.jpg

29-2.jpg

then i got the top routed to shape, routed the treble side for the fake binding ledge and routed the neck angle on. i also routed the neck heel to the same angle so i can do a flat neck pocket

30-2.jpg

and heres what it will look like from the side

31-1.jpg

also, there were some holes in the top wood that i THOUGHT i would get around, and as you can see from the top pic it looks like i did. but on the bass side its still there, and will be seen once i carve it. but i think i have a solution to hide it.