Rising From The Ash

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 question tho---- is that neck heel big enough to do its job? looks kinda small.

Yeah it is pretty small,and the "swamp ash" is pretty fragile.

I had it on that beast for a few years strung up and hanging on the wall by the neck,but now it is something like 3/4" smaller...

But it's only for my use,so if it pulls out of the swamp ash it will only be my problem.I don't think that will happen though,because of the rather large block I used to replace the bottom of the neck pocket...it has quite a few square inches of contact into the (really almost punky feeling)ash.So the neck itself is contacting a very nice piece of quartersawn limba.

AND I am using 2 part epoxy for everything,and plenty of it,because it is so forgiving of any irregularities,and I am having so many problems with this Ash body.

Seems every time I touch it with a chisel to try and clean up a spot,it chips....it's like trying to chisel cork wood. :D

So..the neck heel is seated 2 3/8" in on the bass side,and 1 1/4" on the treble side,and is set 1" deep(I sunk the pocket down to the fretboard)...the "heel block" I put in is 3 1/4" in on the bass side,and 2" on the treble side,and is an additional 3/4" deep.

Possibly more rigid that the notorious SG(earlier models?)

Bottom line is I guess we will all find out together.I have alot of misgivings about this project so far and the way it is going,but I want to plow through and see what I can learn,since this is my first rebuild like this.

It has already given me some ideas about a variable angled template setup I need to build that would make it a breeze to rout on a carved top/flat top/angled pocket/whatever....I will sketch up a picture of it today during lnch and post it this evening...I think every "back yard builder" could build one and find it to be a boon to routing...much better than trying to double sided tape your templates.

Okay...finally starting to get somewhere.about 3 hours of hand sanding and 1/2 hour of blacking out the pickup routs and this is where it stands.I also refined the carve a bit..it was more radiused towards the neck pickup than it should have been.

l_9c04aa10671e4664a42a51ff62ffb737.jpg

Next free time I get I am going to be shaping a belly cut and sculpting the heel and cutaway...I believe I am going to do away with binding altogether.

What a difference once you got that horrible orange colour off, that grain pattern looks great, so don't stuff up the finish :D Hang in there, it would be fantastic to see this turn into a rock solid metal workhorse.

i haven't posted much of the day to day stuff on this,but it is still moving forward.Right now I am really hating the way the pickup routs are so sloppy.Regular rings don't even cover the rout all the way,and they are too uneven to just leave uncovered.

i am actually considering putting 7 string EMGs in this one so that I can rout the things out square and do away with pup rings.

l_d6fc04787de64535aaac599383a0a85a.jpg

So this is where it stands right now.Rough shaping is done,neck is set,fretboard "end piece" is attached,and all that is left before finishing is alot of blending and finish sanding...should get that done this coming holiday weekend.

l_cf48c1d8f90f4b15af976c8da2c61aff.jpg

These are taken with the guitar hanging from a nail on the wall through the toggle hole.

l_db0360d35f64431ea871dae7cbbc13b2.jpg

You can easily see the crack in the ash I filled with CA at the start of this.

I did some things differently on this one than what I usually do...for one thing,I have never attempted to sculpt a heel on an LP,but it was needed here because of the neck,and on the belly cut I did a concave carve rather than a standard flat cut...rather like a music man petrucci's forearm contour,but it is still a bit rough.

Now the pickups...I recalled I had a set of 81/7s in my closet,so I pulled them out and noticed to my surprise they are much the same length as a soapbar,but wider...so they would be perfect to square up the goofy pup routs and get away from pickup rings altogether,and still leave me the ability to do that transparent finish on the front...

So when finished it should look like a more "muscular" soapbar LP

l_015fc624a9dd4e73b9aa0f5b002c3c3d.jpg

Say what you want about stewmac and their prices,but here it is barely two days after I ordered my dot material and it already is sitting on my table...just like always when I order from them.For that kind of service I don't mind a little extra cost.LMII the two times I ordered from them took nearly two weeks from order to receipt.