Bubinga Mini Lp-ish

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should work up a logo of a very stylized goat.

SR

Yeah! There's a part of Sweden called Hälsingland (pronounced Hell-sing-lund, go figure with the goat and all..) that has a goat as their symbol. Looks like this (sorry, bad photoshopping...):

goat.jpg

Something like that could work on a headstock, just work the shapes to fit the shape of the headstock better. Bring the legs closer to make it stand on the truss rod cover...

You should work up a logo of a very stylized goat.

SR

Yeah! There's a part of Sweden called Hälsingland (pronounced Hell-sing-lund, go figure with the goat and all..) that has a goat as their symbol. Looks like this (sorry, bad photoshopping...):

goat.jpg

Something like that could work on a headstock, just work the shapes to fit the shape of the headstock better. Bring the legs closer to make it stand on the truss rod cover...

Do that. Also, keep in mind that the tuners are going to encroach on the inlay. Both of your prior ponderings may have been partially covered.

Just a quick Photoshop test to see what it would look like. made the goat stand up a bit more to make it fit better, gives it a Ferrari logo kind of vibe... Il capretta rampante? One a little bigger standing on the TR cover, one a little smaller more in the middle of the headstock:

wesgoat1-1.jpgwesgoat2-1.jpg

So simple and perfect..I'll do it this weekend...Thanks,Scott for the awesome idea.What I love about it is that no matter what guitar I put it on,I can use whatever material I wish,and I can alter it just a hair to be a more scary looking goat if I want...just depending on the guitar it is going on.for this one I think the placid,thoughtful goat is perfect.

l_aefc2b2b109f452a94eabb28d17d71f8.jpg

I just ordered the pups for this.This one is a special project and I want it to be very versatile...so I ordered an 81TW X and an 89 X.

For those who don't know,the X series is a new line that is supposed to retain the basic idea of the original pickup but with a more "organic" tone..

So the 81 TW X is a coil splittable 81 with a more organic preamp,and the 89 X is a more organic 89,which has always been coil splittable...So I will have 8 options instead of my usual 3...because I am going to wire the coil splitter for the bridge into the tone knob and the coil splitter for the neck into the volume knob

d16f77e49945af9713827b6a56ef7275.jpg

I had worked up a rough sketch of what I was mentally picturing yesterday afternoon, with the intention of posting it this morning since I had no way to do till now......but never-mind, it's not so very different from what you came up with. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Somewhere along the way it also occurred to me that your top-knotted bald guy might be at home on the back of this instrument. I suppose that would make him a goat herder now.

This guitar is going to be sweet Wes.

SR

I was thinking about the Demon samurai guy,and I decided I would work up plans for a Samurai themed guitar with only japanese woods and weapon inlays...

I just got my shellac in,so as soon as I get this inlay done I can shellac the instrument and it will be ready for the topcoat when the weather warms up.

I have my materials together for the goat..I am going to bookmatch everything down the middle of the face except for the beard...flame maple offcut for the main part of the head with the red recon stone for eyes and maybe the beard...ivory to fill in the white around the eyes possible and for the void in the middle of the head.

l_ed4fe61e69064b4da8d227ea57b099de.jpg

What I need is a tiny,tiny bandsaw...can't seem to find one though.Scroll saws tend to chip on the up stroke

I've not experienced that much. In most cases, only the bottom inch on teeth or so are reversed. Are you by any chance using spiral blades?

Try putting packing tape on the top & bottom of the wood before it's cut. This might help cut down on the tearout.